Okay, I was downloading some zip files some while ago while at the same time, I'm also extracting downloaded zip files on my hd. By accident, the zip files that are still in extraction, I managed to click delete on them. The programs started to hang, then froze, which left me no choice but to restart it. When I plugged my external hd back, it can't be detected anymore. How did that happen and what should I do to fix this?

I've tried everything, my dad opened it to check if its loose or something, but it's not. It's not detected anymore... Can anyone please help?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What version of windows are you using?

If you do a cold shutdown of a system with applications running that have files opened, it can scramble the hard drive. Try running the disc check utility. If it doesn't see the drive at all, then it probably scrambled the partition table / boot sector. It may be recoverable with the appropriate tools, but it may be that you will have to restore the boot sector, repartition the drive, and reformat it.

What version of windows are you using?

vista lite

Have you tried what rubberman suggested?

Not yet, but I will try, thanks!

Well... I did try... sadly, it cannot be detected... what tools should I use?

Does it show up in Manage? Right click on your My Computer, select Manage from the list. Then click Storage then Disk Management. See if it shows up there.

Does it show up in Manage? Right click on your My Computer, select Manage from the list. Then click Storage then Disk Management. See if it shows up there.

Sorry, it wasn't detected

The only thing left to try is to remove the hdd from it's external enclosure and fit it into your PC internally and try manage.

If that doesn't work then you will need to replace it!

Hi, I totally agree to Rik.If storage management also finds it difficult to locate hard drive, it means hard drive has certain issues. And you should contact to expert, otherwise it can be risk to your data.

As for my HD, a teacher of mine is checking it out and is already retrieving its files, so yeah...

Thanks for the tips and help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.