Hi,
For ages my computer has been crashing\freezing at random points.
I have Windows XP
1.25 ghz Athlon processor
768mb RAM
40gb disk space
Radeon 9600 graphics card

After much investigation I think it may have something to do with the internet connection, but maybe not. When I am home from University and not connected to the internet I have no problems. However at Uni, on a network in my house I do have problems. I have recently installed my ethernet USB adapter because when I used this a few years ago it worked fine. It does seem to have improved the situation as well.
Recently though, for the first time, when the systme froze it showed a blue 'Stop Error' screen which said...

-to check for adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message disbale it or check for updates.
-Try changing video adapters
-Check for BIOS updates
-Disable BIOS memory options, such as caching and shadowing.

The technical info was:

***STOP: 0X0000008E / 0XC0000005, 0XF78C8151, 0XAA611768, 0X00000000

***COUSBTS5.sys - Address F78c8151 base at F78c7000 Datestamp 3b7bab08

I have also tried running the computer on safe mode with networking, and it crashed here aswell, but not on normal safe mode. Surely this means something to do with the internet??

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

That error indicates a problem with a Corega USB Ethernet device. You may want to try updating the driver if possible. It could also be a device conflict between an internacl Ethernet card and the USB device. If you have an internal Ethernet card you may want to disable it in Windows Device Manager and then try the USB Ethernet adapter. There are several items that can cause a STOP: 0X0000008E error including RAM and damaged video drivers. Hope this helps.

I cant find a driver on the internet for the corega FEther USB TXS adapter, do you know where I can download one?

What is 'flashing' BIOS and how do i do it?

Do you not suggest I do it then? Plus, I cannot find any of the suitable corega adapter drivers...

I only suggest you do if you are sure you know what you doing. If not i would look for other options; or ask somebody who knows how to do it.

Is there anywhere I can find a new driver for my corega adapter. Are there any other possible solutions to my crashing problem??

Thanks very much for that, i'll try it out...

Didnt seem to work...crashing still happens

Does it continue to freeze if the Corega USB ethernet adapter is uninstalled from device manager? Have you run memtest to verify it is not a RAM problem? You can run memtest from a knoppix CD.

Yes it still freezes if I remove the Corega ethernet adapter. I can plug the internet cable directly into the back of the tower and the internet will work, but still freeze. I have previously removed the corega adapter from the machine and uninstalled it from device manager and as a result, on device manager, the only thing recognised under network adapters is SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. I take it this is a different thing to the USB device I removed?

I have tried a RAM test before but didnt really know what to do after testing it. All that happened was a load of white numbers scrolling down a DOS screen.

Here are some things to check before going any further.
1. Does the crash/freeze happen shortly after starting the computer, say within 10 minutes, or does it take longer before it happens? If it happens during or immediately after start-up, then it is most likely a software or driver problem, or a failed component (RAM). If the computer will operate for a while before it freezes, then the problem is often caused by overheating. Check all the fans, especially on the CPU and Video card, to make sure they are working. Also make sure you have good airflow in the case.
2. Will the computer run properly in safe mode? If the computer freezes in normal Windows but will run without problems in Safe Mode for a couple of hours then the problem is usually caused by a problematic driver. Verify your system configuration and check with the component manufacturers website for the correct drivers.
3. Does the problem on occur when you are running a specific application (Internet Explorer) or using a network service? This could be the result of a corruption of Internet Explorer's files, a corrupt network protocol file, a bad network adapter, or corrupt network card driver.
4. Finally the problem could be the result of a Virus or spyware/malware file. Scan the computer with a current anti-virus program and spyware removal software, if you hav not already done so.
Once you check these areas, post back with the results to determine how to proceed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.