I have just been given two Dell Optiflex GX1's from a company that just replaced all of their systems. I am contemplating loading 98SE on them, just for the kids to get "computer familiar". Keeping in mind, they will NOT have internet access. As it stands right now, the computer will powerup, but will not activate the monitor and I hear three beeps when it attempts the POST. Is what I am attempting to do, possible or even feasible? Thanks for any input.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The beep you hear are a POST (power on self test) error. Check to see if the memory has been removed from the PCs. If it i missing you will need to find the correct specification memory for your computer. If the memory is still there, try reseating the memory into the slots. You should have no problem running Win98 on a GX 1.

Hello,

I agree with Bugz that Memory is a good culprit here, but you could also have a bad monitor card, or perhaps the keyboard is not installed properly. I would put money on the memory however.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.