HDD isn't being found or recognized, any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

External or Internal ?

Internal

Did you build this computer or did you buy it?

Also, tell whether it's a sata or ide drive.

Not built, bought. IDE not SATA

dead harddrive maybe ,
what if anything have you tried so far to get the computer recognize it

How about a spare hard drive. Try and see whether that works. Is the IDE cable damage?

Haven't really tried much, just unplugged it and still nothing and tried to install XP but it says HDD is not present. Also have tried other cables but no difference.

Can your HDD still be detected in BIOS?

I don't think so no

I don't think so no

then your only option now is to acquire another hdd and try it in the computer

By any chances, did you check each cable to be plugged on your IDE HDD? There should be two cable connected to it, IDE cable and power supply cable.

Yes I checked all cables and swopped and took out and put back in, still nothing

Follow Caperjacks advice.
Your HDD need a replacement...

you can try those HDD on other computer to confirm that HDD is still usable or not...

then your only option now is to acquire another hdd and try it in the computer

Hmm, someones seems to steal my advise:D

Hmm, someones seems to steal my advise:D

yupp.im a mind reader,lol

Is the HDD clicking or clunking or making any unwanted noises when the power cable is in, or is there no sound at all? If there is no noise's at all, then the HDD isn't getting power to it, which if you've tried different molex plugs, its going to be the HDD controller board that has died most likely. What make and model of HDD is it?

if the problem with the drive is a bad circuit board it will not make clucking noise

Which means that the HDD itself would be fine, as the circuit board died rather than the physical disc!

yes ,but still not accessible ,unless you replace the board,with the exact same one ,most people don't have the means to do so,so the hdd still needs to be replaced

Sadly so... Unless you have a disc lab nearby so they can at least recover the data off of it! Expensive though going through a disc lab.

Is the HDD clicking or clunking or making any unwanted noises when the power cable is in, or is there no sound at all? If there is no noise's at all, then the HDD isn't getting power to it, which if you've tried different molex plugs, its going to be the HDD controller board that has died most likely. What make and model of HDD is it?

There are no clicks or clunks of the sort

There are no clicks or clunks of the sort

the power plugs into the circuit board ,if its bad ,power is not getting to the hdd,and will not click or clunk .

the power plugs into the circuit board ,if its bad ,power is not getting to the hdd,and will not click or clunk .

But the DVD ROM is also plugged in the board and is working just fine

Oh the circuit board of the HDD, I thought you meant the MB. Well then looks like I may need a new HDD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.