I have, through an ill advised keystroke, started the Flash Recovery in my Bios. It has been running for more than 3 hours.
So I have a few questions:
Is this normal?
How long should a flash recovery take?
Is there some way to stop it? and do I want to?
What else might I want to know?

My thanks to anyone who can offer information. :

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Doesn't sound good; 3 hours is much too long for a flash upgrade.
Before you try anything, please tell us the make/model of the computer and the BIOS (including revision # if possible).

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. I finally managed to figure out who the motherboard manufacturer was (1st Mainboard) and the model (VC19). Having done that I contacted their customer service/technical support. Apparently, there is no Flash Recovery capability with this motherboard, so the computer was hung up trying to execute an impossibility. Thus the Bios version etc... in this case is moot. But I will remember to post a more thorough posting if I have future problems.

They did inform me that 15-30 seconds was what one would expect with a Flash Recovery. They also informed me that my only option was to power down the machine (and pray). After powering down the machine it booted fine. In fact, I am responding from it.

I appreciate your looking to help. Thanks again. :D

Apparently, there is no Flash Recovery capability with this motherboard, so the computer was hung up trying to execute an impossibility.

Odd- if that's the case, I wonder why/how they even had the option available...

In any event, I'm glad you got it straightened out without any harm done to the machine. :)

While the motherboard is 1st Mainboard the bios seems to be from American Megatrends, Inc. Apparently, they miscommunicated.

While the motherboard is 1st Mainboard the bios seems to be from American Megatrends, Inc.

Yes, it isn't uncommon for the BIOS to be manufactured by a third party. American Megatrends (AMI) is one such popular BIOS brand; Phoenix and Award are two other BIOS manufacturers that have been around for quite some time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.