My computer will run with cdrom and HD set on cable select.
However the cdrom is the master and the hd is the slave in the bios.
I have tried setting both jumpers to master and using 2 ribbons and the bois sees only the cdrom as primary master but doesn't see the hd. I have been told it is best to set both as master, it worked for my other computers.
Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

My computer will run with cdrom and HD set on cable select.
However the cdrom is the master and the hd is the slave in the bios.
I have tried setting both jumpers to master and using 2 ribbons and the bois sees only the cdrom as primary master but doesn't see the hd. I have been told it is best to set both as master, it worked for my other computers.
Any ideas?

Set the jumpers on the CD-Rom to master, and the jumpers on the hard drive to slave. Make sure these settings are correct. Then (since your using the same cable i presume) attach the one end to the board and the middle ide plug to the hard drive, and the other end ide plug to the cd rom drive. This should work fine i assume as along as your not using this specific hard drive to boot from.

Thank you,if the computer is running as is, cd rom being the master and the HD the slave does it effect the performance. It is my nephews computer and I had to give it back as is. it seemed to work fine.

Basically, i would most deffinatly run the hard drive on a seperate channel if it is your only hard drive in your computer. If it is a 2nd hard drive, i would run it as slave off of the 1st hard drive. If it is your third hard drive, you may have no other option and run it off the second channel of your cd-rom drive. Performance shouldnt be hit until you start using the cd drive. Then it will really slow down the computer.

Most computers that i know of have atleast 2 ide channels so just use 2 cables and keep them seperate. Thats what i would do. Does this make sense.

You are right Nizzy, I have only 1 HD, IDE on this computer. One cdrw.
I have tried to run it on a seperate chanel. Thats how I Have run my other computers.
This one won't do it. I thought about reseting cmos but decided against it. Do you think it will affect performance if I leave it the way it is? Cable select, HD recognized as slave, cdrw as master. I have put the HD at the end of the cable and cdrw in the middle. When I do that the HD isn't recognized. It seems to run fine.

You are right Nizzy, I have only 1 HD, IDE on this computer. One cdrw.
I have tried to run it on a seperate chanel. Thats how I Have run my other computers.
This one won't do it. I thought about reseting cmos but decided against it. Do you think it will affect performance if I leave it the way it is? Cable select, HD recognized as slave, cdrw as master. I have put the HD at the end of the cable and cdrw in the middle. When I do that the HD isn't recognized. It seems to run fine.

I would reset it if you can, or even try in the bios to "reset to defaults". I do have a question though, what kind of computer is it?

Msi k8t800, athlon 64 2800, 80 gig HD.... built 1 year ago. I tried it through the bios, no go. This was the 1st system I've ever built. Didn't know much. Have built 4 since with no glitches. Like I said I had to give it back before I could have fun with it.
If he has problems with it I will try resetting cmos and repost.
Thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.