im planning to buy a graphics card.. as of now, i have none. iv seen the specs of ATI radeon HD 6670 model, and i like it... but a few queries remain.. mainly compatibility oriented.
my system:
CPU- 3.2 GHz AMD Athlon X2 250
2 GB DDR2 800 MHz ram
inbuilt graphics- 256MB GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a (that's what speccy tells me!)
500 watt smps,( nothing extraordinary, just the standard stuff that comes with the cabinet.)

can i run this graphics card on this system? my main cause of worry is all those GDDR5 stuff that i see in its spec sheet. is it that these(the GDDR5 graphics cards) need DDR3 memory to run or something?? or can i run them with DDR2 memory as well?
Really confused :( please help

thanks a lot :)
somjit{}

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The memory on teh video card has nothing to do with the memory on your system, as long as your motherboard can take the PCI-e card and your power suplly can cope with the power, some 6670 required a 6pin I think, then you should be ok.

the 6770 model required a 75 watt 6 pin connector. this one doesn't. Also, i read that for the card to perform like it should, the PSU should be able to provide continuous power on its +12V rail. but, as mine came with the cabinet, i don't have any specifications of how much power it can actually give... is there any simple ways i can find that out?? some software maybe?? or with multimeter??

I doubt you will hit problems with the 6670 on a 500W, we run some FireGL cards that uses more power than the 6670 on cheap 400W for years, playing with a multimeter may sound fun but I have seen, and heard a few big bangs in the wrong hands so be extra careful with the toy.

i was reading on the internet that the HD 6670 was a PCIE 2.1 card, but the slot on my motherboard is PCIE 1.0 . can i use this slot for the HD 6670 card? i read somewhere that the PCIE 2.0 slots are backward compatible with PCIE 1.0.??

PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are fully backward compatible with PCIe v1.x cards. PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v2.0 will work with the other being v1.1 or v1.0.

taken from this link ,this web site is usually a good source for correct info .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

thanks caperjack :) i did read a few wiki links, but still was a bit confused coz it said SO many things there... just wanted to be sure about it. that takes care of my basic queries i guess :) but one more i wanted to ask is that if i upgrade my pc in the future, and buy a mother board with multiple gpu slots( ie multiple PCIe slots) then can i use SLI(assuming that motherboard will support SLI) with this radeon 6670? i read that u need a SLI version gpu along with a normal gpu, and connect them together to run the two cards as one. can that be done with Radeon HD 6670?

thanks caperjack i did read a few wiki links, but still was a bit confused coz it said SO many things there... just wanted to be sure about it. that takes care of my basic queries i guess but one more i wanted to ask is that if i upgrade my pc in the future, and buy a mother board with multiple gpu slots( ie multiple PCIe slots) then can i use SLI(assuming that motherboard will support SLI) with this radeon 6670? i read that u need a SLI version gpu along with a normal gpu, and connect them together to run the two cards as one. can that be done with Radeon HD 6670?

i wrote sli in place of crossfire here!!!! :sad::X really sorry abt that...:(
what i wanted to say is that if in the future i upgrade to a crossfire compatible motherboard, then can i connect my Radeon 6670 with another (crossfire edition) card and run them together? i read something like although the cards need not be exactly the same model(as is the case with SLI) but they have to belong to the same family. this is the link to from where i read it .
The problem is that i dont understand what "belonging to the same family" implies here..

the same family meas the same brand name ,like brothers and sister ,not exactly the same but from the same family,
i can only assume that it will work on a new motherboard ,i don't have time right not to search for exact answer .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.