This week I got a new CD burner. I opened up my CPU and replaced the od CD drive. In the process I decided to see about the sound card, which I had guessed was not working because it had gotten knocked loose in a move last year.

I found a loose cable from the hard drive and I found the place it looked like it was supposed to plug into the sound card, but somehow the cable was too short. I removed the sound card and put it in another slot closer to the hard drive and moved two other cards to make room for ht cable. I then screwed everything in place and closed up the computer. I pluygged in all the cables, turned it on, and it made a long beep and the monitor did not come on. I unplugged the computer crom the monitor andf the monitor stated there was no input. I replugged it in and it said that it was in power-save mode.

Repeated of-and-on's get the same result: long beep, monitor in power-save mode.

I have checked every cable that I could find. Everything seems to be plugged in securely and in the right place. Is it possible that I damaged something? Is there something I don't know?

Zorikh

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

May seem obvious: but why the hell would the HDD connect to the sound card? If everything worked properly before just take the wire out!

May seem obvious: but why the hell would the HDD connect to the sound card? If everything worked properly before just take the wire out!

I found out that that wire was actually something to do with power and that it might have fried the mother board(!) I took it out, re-placed the cards where they had been, removed the new CD burner, and then friend came over, pushed the video card in a little harder, and it worked.

Then after he left, I put the new CD burner back in, and all that came up was the BIOS screen. I removed it, and the computer worked again. My friend thinks it may be a power supply issue and I may need a "beefier" power supply. Any ideas?

Zorikh

This week I got a new CD burner. I opened up my CPU and replaced the od CD drive. In the process I decided to see about the sound card, which I had guessed was not working because it had gotten knocked loose in a move last year.

I found a loose cable from the hard drive and I found the place it looked like it was supposed to plug into the sound card, but somehow the cable was too short. I removed the sound card and put it in another slot closer to the hard drive and moved two other cards to make room for ht cable. I then screwed everything in place and closed up the computer. I pluygged in all the cables, turned it on, and it made a long beep and the monitor did not come on. I unplugged the computer crom the monitor andf the monitor stated there was no input. I replugged it in and it said that it was in power-save mode.

Repeated of-and-on's get the same result: long beep, monitor in power-save mode.

I have checked every cable that I could find. Everything seems to be plugged in securely and in the right place. Is it possible that I damaged something? Is there something I don't know?

Zorikh

First of all, your monitor won’t kick up without H and V sync signals, these are given to the monitor from the graphics card once the computer has passed its own self power on test.

I suspect, your computer did NOT like the fact that you plugged your HD (Hard Drive) to a scussi input on your sound card.

Also, I also suspect that you've moved your sound card into the slot (PCI Socket) next to your graphics card, this won’t work, and it’s a shared PCI slot which uses resources for your graphics display.

Unplug the 'loose' cable and leave it alone, this is for a secondary IDE device, like a slave hard drive, not for sound. If after you moved and the sound stopped working, start at the beginning and work your way into the system.

1. Check that you are plugging the correct connector in the correct place, as in SOUND OUT on your sound card and not mike or line in.

2. Check that your speaks are connected correctly.

3. Inside - Check that the card hadn't become dislodged; this is more than likely what happened tbh.

I found out that that wire was actually something to do with power and that it might have fried the mother board(!) I took it out, re-placed the cards where they had been, removed the new CD burner, and then friend came over, pushed the video card in a little harder, and it worked.

Then after he left, I put the new CD burner back in, and all that came up was the BIOS screen. I removed it, and the computer worked again. My friend thinks it may be a power supply issue and I may need a "beefier" power supply. Any ideas?

Zorikh

Ok, sorry now read the full thread. Try changing the jumpers over on the back of the new CD Burner.

If you are running two CD drives, one has to be set to master, whilst the other is set to slave.

Never connect a CD Burner slave or master to your hardrive, connecting child devices like this can course major problems if not damage the Hard disk if you suffer power loss while its reading/writing. You can get around this by turning off read/write cache to hard disk in device manager, although I would recommend getting someone who knows about computers to do this for you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.