My computer was running one day after I re-built it a few weeks prior to this, and when I got back to it, It had shut off and wouldn't restart. I changed the power supply and tested the CPU so both are good. I tried anouther HDD in it that I knew worked and still no change. When I power the computer on, everything starts to work but nothing is displayed on the screen yet when it just shuts down. The power switch doesn't work at all but, the reset switch will power it on after pressing it twice in a row, after each shut down. I switched to a case that I used to use for the same system and still no change so I know the power switch isn't plugged in backwards. The case I was using when the problem occured was a case that housed another system, but the mother board went in that system. the only part that was not swaped out of the old one was the case, the cd drives and the floppy drive. Is there a such thing as a case killing a mother board.

When I power the computer on, everything starts to work but nothing is displayed on the screen yet when it just shuts down.

Have you tried swapping the graphic card? How do you know that everything is working? Do you hear the Windows Welcome sound on your speaker?

You may also want to check that there are no stray screws lodged between the case and the motherboard. That can surely kill the motherboard and leave you scratching your head.

The graphics card is brand new and I did swap it out, no noise from speakers. I checked out everything and it is definitly the motherboard. There are no loose screws, I alway chack for them due to a previouse incident. The only ppossibility is that the power supply still works buy sends surges. Everything exept the internet is connected through a surge protecor, I just now got a battery back-up that protects everything. And I switched power supplies to eliminate that possability.

Glad to see that you found the problem. Are you going to investigate, further, to the component level, or are you just going to replace the mobo?

first of all i cant stand the people that offer wise guy remarks instead of help.:sad:

The thing i have found to give alot of problems in no display is the memory {ram}.:twisted:

if you have known good memory swap it out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.