Hi. I have had the same computer for about a year now with no issues. I came home from work today and my PC wouldn't start. After unplugging everything inside and re-attaching everything I got it to start again only to shut itself off at the screen that asks if you would like to start Windows normally. All of the fans are spinning now but there is no sound at startup and now I'm getting no video at all.

I have read a couple threads on this site but I am so uneducated when it comes to computers I can't seem to figure out the issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated, if I can fix it myself rather then buy a new one that would be great. Thanks.

I should also note I have taken out the ram sticks and put them in one at a time with no luck, not sure if that would do anything. My pc appears to have an onboard Asus video card with a slot with something in it saying sli selector dual video cards.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi,and welcome to Daniweb ,please share the make and exact model #,if its a brand name ,any new software or hardware you might have added lately that could have cause the problem ,when you had it open did you check fans [make sure fans are spinning including pwer supply fan]and such for dust ,that could be causing overheating

It appears to be an Antec, on the front of says powered by Asus, Pentium 4. There is no serial number on the outside anywhere. The motherboard is marked PSNSLI, I know it runs Vista as an OS. I haven't added any software or hardware lately, I bought dust off spray and got all the stuff out before posting. Fans are spinning including power supply.

Motherboards greenlight comes on, but no startup sound and no video, I wish I could give better stats but I'm lost when it comes to this, obviously.

Now I unplugged the hard drive and the computer is not shutting off automatically after 20 seconds. It has been on several minutes and although I still have no sound or video this seems like a positive.

Plugged the hard drive back in and strangely its not shutting off. Still no video or sound but at least its not powering down every 20 seconds

if I had in my in my hands I would remove the bios battery [the silver battery near the pci slots I think if the picture I have from the internet is correct ]for a few minutes to reset bios to defaults ,hook everything back up and try again ,good luck

My pc appears to have an onboard Asus video card with a slot with something in it saying sli selector dual video cards.

the sli selector would be left in if you were to add a single pci-e video card ,and removed if you were to run it in duel sli mode ,using 2 video cards

I removed the little silver battery for a few minutes, replaced it, no change. With all fans and the motherboard light being on...the only thing that isn't functioning seems to be the hard drive. I have a newer one but it uses different hookups then the one currently installed. All I can think of is maybe in my unplugging and reconnecting I failed to attach the wires somewhere properly. Hard drive makes no sound at all.

Thanks for your input by the way, this is frustrating when you don't know what you're doing

Also I found the proper wires for my newer hard drive, it seems to be doing something but still no vid/sound so maybe its a vid card issue? .

Thanks for your input by the way, this is frustrating when you don't know what you're doing

for me too ,as i suck at hardware issue helping over the internet [time for me to quit I think lol],sorry

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.