What's your experience with them? Do you like them or hate them?
I had the first model they put out for the athlons years back. Didn't work too well. All three ram slots worked, but only one at a time. It wouldn't let me use more than 1 stick at a time. But hearing such good things about their boards, I bought another. A dual athlon board. (GA-7DPXDW) The two raid channels have given me problems from the start. Occationally, a bios checksum error pops up. I'll say that this is the last time I buy their boards. How could they get such high reviews all the time? Any good experiences anyone?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Well I myself have never used a gigabyte board, however I have a friend that only buys gigabyte boards. He has always liked gigabyte and until rercently he has come across a couple issues with them.

One being the via chipset mobo's...everytime he installed the via 4n1 drivers he's computer had a difficult time booting,running and etc.
The next thing was he bought a mini-atx board GA-7vm400m and is returning I must say. The board has more issues than one. Another one of his friends bought another gigabyte board and bought like 4 sticks of ocz ram to max it a 1 gig of ram because according to the gigabyte manual it would support it..well nope it would only 3 sticks of 256, so I guess to answer your question as to do I like them, well they have issues but what board doesn't. I would however if I were to purchase one I would get one with a nforce2 chipset opposed to via.

What's your experience with them? Do you like them or hate them?
I had the first model they put out for the athlons years back. Didn't work too well. All three ram slots worked, but only one at a time. It wouldn't let me use more than 1 stick at a time. But hearing such good things about their boards, I bought another. A dual athlon board. (GA-7DPXDW) The two raid channels have given me problems from the start. Occationally, a bios checksum error pops up. I'll say that this is the last time I buy their boards. How could they get such high reviews all the time? Any good experiences anyone?

I haven't had problems with mine, nor the others that I have seen. The fact that I won mine in an AMD contest doesn't affect my judgement here; anything that's mass-produced is going to exhibit the occasional sample failure (electronic-technician-speak).

Have you tried Googling your problems? A BIOS update? What have you done to try to solve your problems?

I had a Gigabyte board with an AMD processor not too long ago. It was okay I guess. It worked. I wasn't too impressed though. I've since used Asus and I'm much happier with them.

I'm stuck with hand-me-down OEM boards from Packard-Bell, and Micron. No recommendation here. :sad:

I run al older asus board and enjoy it as well and haven't had any problems. However, I think my battery is starting to go. Oh well, normal wear and tear I guess.

All I know is, don't use cheap memory. This is true regardless of what board you buy. I've just purchased a KT600 board from Gigabyte, and the thing won't boot with the el-cheapo DDR memory I bought. I bought the board to replace another board I had, but I think now it may not have been the motherboard, but instead the memory. At least I might have the base to build two boxes now...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.