I have a GA-7DPXDW motherboard. One 512mb registered ecc ddr stick, of either samsung or micron. I just bought a 1gb samsung stick and stuck it in. For some reason, adding that stick, the computer is very slow to boot up. Turn it on, and it sits for about a minute before it even hits post. Not even a video signal is picked up during that minute. After that, all is fine, memory recognized and all. I tried arranging the sticks differently, using just one or the other. It only happens with that 1gb stick. I had it tested, and it works. Any thoughts? I'll just looking for bios updates later on tonight.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I don't know why it wouldn't display the POSTing process, but, you may want to disable iniitial boot memory checking in your BIOS. Not sure what BIOS that mobo uses, but I'm sure you could find it in there somewhere. Try disabling the boot time memory checking and see if that speeds it up.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Registered RAM with unregisered RAM perhaps? Why mix them?

They're both registered ecc, as thats what the mobo requires. I'll check for that in the bios.

@tks
bruce cambell is da man!

They're both registered ecc, as thats what the mobo requires. I'll check for that in the bios.

@tks
bruce cambell is da man!

Same problem with NCCH-DR mobo with ECC mem... Takes about 17 sec/gb ram. Suspect ECC Checking before post. Any thoughts?

What is happening is the initialization of all the RAM to a known state. With out that you could get ECC errors the first time RAM was accessed because the boot state was unknown. (At boot the bits in the check code might not match the data.)

Figure 1.5GB in 50 seconds is 30MB/s. A little slow but this is probably done a byte at a time with the cache off.

On my mpx2 motherboard if I turn ECC off in setup then the boot time is only a few seconds. I have been running that way while installing the OS, updates, drivers, etc. because of the number of reboots that requires. Once it is stable then I will run with ECC on.

I have a GA-7DPXDW motherboard. One 512mb registered ecc ddr stick, of either samsung or micron. I just bought a 1gb samsung stick and stuck it in. For some reason, adding that stick, the computer is very slow to boot up. Turn it on, and it sits for about a minute before it even hits post. Not even a video signal is picked up during that minute. After that, all is fine, memory recognized and all. I tried arranging the sticks differently, using just one or the other. It only happens with that 1gb stick. I had it tested, and it works. Any thoughts? I'll just looking for bios updates later on tonight.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.