I am searching for a wireless adapter to install in my PC as I will be moving it soon and a wired connection is not possible. I am looking at an expansion card I can insert in motherboard as I don't want a USB one. The adapter i'm looking at is PCI-E(x1) and the free slots I have on my motherboard are a PCI-E(x16) which would run at x8 as i have a GPU in the 1st x16 slot and a x4 slot. My question is if i install the x1 wireless adapter in my x4 slot will it affect the performance of my GPU? From looking at the manual it looks as if it will only take a hit if I install something in the x16 slot but i'm not 100% sure.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
Wireless Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800
Thanks

Try it in the x4 slot first. If it affects the video, try one of the others. Myself I have to ask why you want a PCI device and not a USB one. The USB dongle will be a LOT cheaper, and with the speeds of USB 2 and 3 these days, throughput should not be a major issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.