Hi all
I am nishant, an electronics engg. my PC has been in dire straits ever since i bought it an year ago. specs are: intel original 915 mobo,512mb ddr ram, 80 gb sata hdd, 3 ghz processor with hyperthreading technology..
first was the issue that this mobo needed 400watt or nearabt power and suffered from thermal shutdown when i used 300watt smps. i figured that out reading posts on this forum only(:) then again it worked 2 months ok and lately has again started to restart after 10 minutes nearly. though this time the issue is different i believe as i have installed intel desktop utility which monitors the h/w temp. and shows it to be within safe limits. i m at my wits end as 1 yr on from purchase i m yet to n'joy an uninterrupted run of my pc.:-|
could any good soul offer me a hint or two as to source of my travails....

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I wouldn't trust the intel thermal utility. Have had many experiences when it's reported the wrong temp. A BIOS fix is available, just don't know where (AMD fan here). Anyway, try running the computer with the case open and with a table fan blowing some air into the computer. If after doing this, the computer runs fine, get a better cabinet with better ventilation. Otherwise let us know and we'll go from there...

Thx. I will give it a shot though at present i m keeping my case open with mobo horizontal on my table and ceiling fan running. One observation might offer u a clue.. When i allow my pc rest of nearabt a day then it runs close to 2 hrs flat out with no issues dvd combo drive running and all. then it restarts inexplicably around that time and then its period of operation reduces to 10 min. before retarting. if i persist then the time goes down to 5 or so min.
infact this is my second shot at this problem. a month ago same thng. happened and my os files got corrupted (windows xp) and pc won't boot up. i had to reinstall the os. cpu fan was loose and mobo was also loose. got it refitted. thought i had it all covered out. yet the problem resurfaced after merely a day.

I still think this to be a heating issue. Spontaneous PC reboots signify:

1. Overheating
2. Faulty RAM
3. Faulty mobo

We'll go step wise. If you can get the PC to run with a fan blowing air into it, without any probs, you know it's a heating issue. If not, see if you can get some known working ram modules and test them. If this doesn't work, make sure there is no dirt in the computer, esp at the contact points. To test your RAM, you can download memtest86 (google it). Let the program run overnight for best results. Try these steps and let us know.

Hi
sorry for the delay. I had given my pc to the vendor for troubleshooting. I agree with u. its an overheating issue. intel desktop utility monitors cpu fan speed also. its a variable speed fan with max speed as shown in the visual dial to be 8000rpm. but as per the visual display it never goes beyond 2300rpm. might be the cpu fan be faulty..... the problem couldnot get repeated at the vendor's end. i believe atmospheric cooling due to rains to be the reason. but the problem is still as it is... i have told him to try with other cpu fans.. is there any other way out??????? please enlighten me.. i m at my wits end !!!!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.