I was playing some Vr when the game suddenly froze. I went over to my Pc and everything was frozen, I couldn't move the mouse, and the keyboard wasn't doing anything. I tried to turn it off from the power button and that wasn't doing anything. After around 5 minutes it power off.
Now whenever I plug it in only the usbs on the top of the case, and the usbs on the motherboard have power. There are no light, the fans aren't moving, no lights, sounds, or even the smell of smoke.

I installed a different power supply and was still having the same problems. What else could be causing the problems.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This is now the classic "dead PC." For such the method or process is when you can't tell what failed is to strip it all down to the least number of parts and see if it will power up. We are not looking to boot any OS, maybe not even a video display. If there was no fan spin on the CPU I go for fan spin. If there was fan spin I go for beeps. If you don't have a motherboard speaker you get one and plug it in.

At the lowest number of parts we have no case, the motherboard on cardboard, the power supply, CPU, no RAM and HSF and the speaker. For about 99.99% of the machines out there, this will beep in protest. If it beeps then we can power down and add one part until we add a part that blocks the power up and beeping.

If there are no beeps and no power up then we are looking at the bad part or parts. You swapped the PSU so that would mean the motherboard or CPU has a problem.

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that. Does the computer not even POST anymore? Can you get it to detect the hardware and/or boot into the BIOS?

It seems a bit odd to me that the USB ports would have power but the CPU would not? Alas, I’m not much of a hardware person.

What make and model computer is it?

So you choose the second option - shotgunning. Then no reason to post here. Since shotgunning means keep replacing good parts until something works.
Meanwhile, the other option means first learning what exists and what is defective before buying, disconnecting, or replacing anything. For example, what determines when a computer can power cycle? A power controller. A power controller will not even let the CPU execute until it decides everything is OK. Unfortunately, most who recommend solutions do not even know a power controller exists.

By requesting some instructiions, one minute of labor, and a digital meter, then the reslting numbrs means the fewer who know this stuff can say - without doubt - what is defective. Then you only buy and replace the defective part. No shotgunning. And you actually learn how your computer works.

Your computer could have been defective three months ago when built. Normal is for a defective computer to still boot and execute. As the obvious defect gets worse, then a machine becomes intermittent. Eventually fails. This is also little understood. Many assume if it works, then it must be OK. The same applies to the paper clip test. It can never say anything is good. It can only detect some types of failures.
USB port still has power? Of course. Why is learned only if using a meter with requested instruction? Another alternative is to just keep replacing good parts only on wild speculation - ie shotgunning.

Unplug the USB devices and power cable from the laptop. Leaving all the cables disconnected, restart the computer. Once back in Windows plug in your USB devices. Finally, plug in your power cable again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.