Currently getting increasingly frustrated with my 5K widescreen LG monitor for an assortment of reasons.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Tell me a little more. I find that so many electronics develop issues after a few years.

Just yesterday Mary had me looking at her rig (laptop with 27 inch display) which the monitor was off. Turns out the power pack was unplugged. A little rearrangement and cord management cleared that up. While I was there the speakers were buzzing. Moved the USB connection to the nifty new USB 3.0 hub and that cleared up.

Recently a cranky display at the office was tracked down to the display cable (HDMI.) The user was adamant it wasn't the cable because the cable worked on other displays. Changed cables, all better.

Finally I'm reading the LG 5K has to be on recent Apple computers, I can't write the entire list but 2017 this, 2019 that, along with current versions of Apple's OS.

Given the number of times I find a cable issue, new display cables are always brought along on the service call.

I currently have two LG 5K monitors. One works fine with no issues. The other fails to turn on at least 10% of the time when bringing my macOS (2021-generation M1 Max) laptop out of sleep. Now the latest issue, that happened twice this week, is the keyboard that is connected to one of its USB ports just randomly stops working. Every time it glitches, the only way to fix it is to physically unplug the monitor's power cable from the outlet. Disconnecting and reconnecting from/to the laptop doesn't work, nor does turning the laptop off and then back on, or switching inputs.

Truth be told, and you will really adore this, is you messaged me earlier today asking if I tried ChatGPT-4 yet. So I asked ChatGPT what a good question for a hardware forum would be, and it suggested I ask what are some reliable brands for computer monitors. It turned out that I had just, moments earlier, had my keyboard randomly stop working and was still cursing my monitor, so I decided I'd ask the question.

commented: AI enabled mind reading? +0
commented: You could try resetting your SMC, NVRAM or PRAM. I would guess the power state of the USB is not enough. Connect to laptop, external powered USB Hub. +1

Iiyama and MSI haven't let me down yet. Had 1 Iiyama fail on me last year, after nearly 10 years.

Over in the Apple forums, found this: "I set the LG monitor from dp1.4 to dp1.2. all problem solved."
This is in some menu in the LG.

I'm using a 27-inch HP EyeEase monitor, which can always have a low blue light setting on, which may be conducive to sleep. Its standout features are the 178-degree viewing angle and 99% sRGB color gamut. In addition to being thin and having clever cable management, it also includes a micro-edge display on all sides.

Acer, LG and Samsung are best in Computer Monitors. Try from these three.

Yup, it's an LG that is causing issues.

Specifically, my LG UltraFine 5K has no issues, but my LG HDR widescreen 5K has constant issues.

I'm not sure what changing from DP 1.4 to DP 1.2 has to do with plugging in a USB keyboard. Also, I don't think DP 1.2 supports 5K resolution, which is the whole point of the display.

Dell wrote "NOTE: 5K x 3K displays require systems equipped with DUAL Thunderbolt 2.0 (DisplayPort 1.2 capable) ports to operate the 5K x 3K display at optimal resolution." And there's more out there about this.

Sorry Dani, these are settings I know to try but make no claim I know why these problems exist at all. My background in digital video recorders did have me work with protected video links (that's HDMI for most) and we found so many implementations that were supposed to be backwards compatible (they lied.) So you know to try the setting and see if it clears it up.

However, once in a while a client won't accept that this is a possible cure. Your only choice is to send them back to the makers.

G'day Folks,

I believe the question was "What are some reliable brands for computer monitors?" so I don't know what some of the other answers in reality had to do with the question!

The answer from my point of view is simple;
Bothe the BENQ (search “benq monitor” on google) ["https://www.benq.com/en-au/monitor.html"] available in 24" and 27" and LG Monitors ["https://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImPHC4oOS_gIVD8SWCh324QEOEAAYASAAEgLXUPD_BwE"] I have found more than reliable with clear images and easy on the eyes.

My 24" BENQ is 10+ years old and I'm looking at it now while typing this reply.

LG and BENQ I find have a comparitive range to choose from to suit your needs.

I trust that answers your question, obviously there are others; however these are the brands I recommend to my customers.

Regards
Roger Hass / PC-Bug Fixer now in Tanilba Bay NSW 2319 Australia

commented: The LG appears reliable but there's an issue with Apple and coming out of standby. Still reliable! +17

I have been using DELL monitors along with a View Sonic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.