I had a laptop gave to me that doesn't work. When you turn it on the power light comes on, you hear the hard drive spin, cd-rom has power, but there is no picture on the monitor. Also you cannot hear it go through any boot process. Does this sound like a CPU problem or a motherboard? ANy help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I'm leaning on a motherboard issue, simply because everything is connected to it...

I'd guess I'd have to take out a processor of a machine and see if its components boot, post back when I get the chance to.

ya i had a similiar thing happen to me. my uncle gave me his computer to see if i could fix. its a desktop, when it starts up i get the same problems, fans start, cd drives, but blank screen and no sound from starting up. i took out the processor and started it up but no beeps to tell me it was missing or nething. does this mean it is infact the motherboard thats the problem?

I had a laptop gave to me that doesn't work. When you turn it on the power light comes on, you hear the hard drive spin, cd-rom has power, but there is no picture on the monitor. Also you cannot hear it go through any boot process. Does this sound like a CPU problem or a motherboard? ANy help is appreciated.

Suggestion:
Check to see if ZIF socket is set to locked position. If it is left at OPEN, no pins are making contact, but the Heat sink is holding it inplace.

Sounds like a bad mb to me. Usually no beeps at all is the mb.

Sounds like a bad mb to me. Usually no beeps at all is the mb.

Laptops don't do POSTS like desktops... different breed.
Especially since PII .. days

Laptops don't do POSTS like desktops... different breed.
Especially since PII .. days

How did I miss that? I think I read right past where it started off saying it was a laptop. :o

I would want to know if the LCD is bad first and easy to check. Plug an external monitor into the laptop. You may have to switch the output to the external one. Usually a pressing the right keys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.