Hello,

I've just installed an Ethernet Adapter (NIC) into a PCI slot of my motherboard, but I cannot make a Local Area Connection. I have previously tried to establish a PC to PC network, utilizing the onboard network adapters via a CAT 5 crossover cable, no hub or router, but I was unsuccessful. After much work tweaking settings, drivers, and such, I thought I would just install an inexpensive Ethernet Adapter Card, and if that worked, it would tell me that I had some problem with my onboard adapter. However, now I am none the wiser, because I still do not have a LAN.

To begin with, let me introduce the non functioning LAN: PC1 is a laptop, and PC2 is a desktop. Both run Windows XP with SP2, and updated virus utilities. The Cat 5 crossover cable has been checked out on a tester, and I have swapped it end for end. I have also tried another cable. Although PC1 indicates a 'Network connection' when PC2 is turned on, PC2 always displays the message, "Network cable unplugged". PC2 also tells me that the devices (the onboard and the PCI slot NIC) are working properly. I have tried both of my PCI slots.

So, what gives? Is there some problem involving 'Chipset Drivers'? Is it a hardware or software problem? The motherboard is a Socket 'A' K7SOM+ made by ECS, apparently the same as a PcChips M810D, and the CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2200+.

The retailer of the NIC I just bought of course says it is unlikely that the problem is with the card, but with my cable! How can I test this card? Why are the LED's not working? How can Windows 'find' the card, install the driver, and tell me it is working properly, when it appears as dead as a dodo, and as functional?

If any body can enlighten me as to how these busses, chipsets, and CPU are supposed to work to make a LAN, then I could maybe start to look for what isn't working, in order to fix the problem. Initially, I thought there may have been some physical problem where the RJ45 socket joined on to the onboard network adapter, but I am having the exact same problem in the new NIC.

Any intellegence would be greatly appreciated. There must be someone out there, perhaps in a cave in the Himalayas, who 'KNOWS'!

Regards,

Chris B.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi Chris
Well I'm not in a cave in the himalaya's but reading through what you have told me in your post i would say one of two things which you might not like but i'm brutally honest.

Firstly dont rely on windows to be truthful. it quite frequently isn't.

On your desktop machine check your onboard LAN connection is enabled by using the BIOS. try connecting the ethernet cable to it then boot into windows and see if you can establish a connection between the two machines. you might need the benefit of Windows New Connection Wizard to help you. Enter control panel and select network and internet connections then select SEt up or change your home or small office network. this launches the network connection wizard. do as it tells you and complete the necessary fields.

In retrospect to your add in NIC - did software come with it? i'm talking about drivers here. If so did you install them properly. Its unlikely that both your PCI bus slots are dead. if theres no lights to the card the card maight well be dead and buried.

let me know how you get on with what i've suggested.

BTW: are you planning on accessing the web on both machines? if so get a network Modem/Router and some extra cat 5 cables.

Hello Janine,

Thanks for your contribution,

In BIOS, 'Ethernet Device' is enabled. I have tried the 'Network Setup Wizard' 'umteen' times. Every connection I create in PC2 always has 'Network cable unplugged'. I've just tried a 'straight through' 'patch' cable, to no avail.
How can I really tell what is going on in my computer, as it is acknowledged that Windows "speaks with forked tongue"! Is there some diagnostic 'Troubleshooting' program that can be obtained?
I've just tried a 'USB network cable', installed the software in both computers, then plugged it in. PC1, typicaly, found the new hardware straight away, but PC2 could not find it, and I looked everywhere manualy. So of course a link cannot be established. The 'USB Function Support' in BIOS is enabled. So, why is PC2 incapable of making these connections? I have not tried a serial or parallel port connection yet.

The I.C.S. computer repair and upgrade course you have done: was it by correspondence, and would you recommend it?

I have installed numerous drivers, udates, rollbacks, etc.

Cheers,

Chris B.

Update.......... The manufacturer of my motherboard has suggested I have a virus! But, I am using PC-cillin 2006, which is updated daily on PC1, and whenever I connect PC2 to the internet (which I do only for the purpose of updating PC-cillin and Windows).

I am thinking, should I reinstall windows on PC2? How about 'flashing' the BIOS? Is it possible for BIOS to become infected by a virus, or possess a corrupted file? What about Windows Registry? Should I have a 'poke about' in there?

Cheers,

Chris B.

Hi Chris, have you eventually sorted out this problem? I have exactly the same issue you describe in your post. I suspect a dud MB since I recently reinstalled WIN XP from scratch.

Feedback will be appreciated.

Mack

Hi Chris, have you eventually sorted out this problem? I have exactly the same issue you describe in your post. I suspect a dud MB since I recently reinstalled WIN XP from scratch.

Feedback will be appreciated.

Mack

Hello Mack,

Thanks for the post. I never sorted out the problem, so I just gave up. I have a USB to USB link between the computers, and use that for a LAN. You write that you suspect a dud MB (as do I), because you recently reinstalled WIN XP from scratch. But I don't follow your resoning or connection. Can you elabortate please?

Cheers,

Chris B.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.