I have an HP ze5730us notebook PC. It was working fine until one day my wife updated some software and next time it came up it wouldn't boot up. It powers up and all the usual lights light up, but the only noise I hear is the fan. I don't hear any other activity from my notebook. I can't hear the HDD working and the fan will stay at full power as if it's stuck on the first step of powering up. Help I don't know what to do.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

do you get the bios splash screen (you know the "HP" bit)?

No, nothing comes up.

if this "update" your wife did was a bios or firmware update as opposed to a windows update then the machine is probably fried

yes i have a similar problem and i hope that someone can please help me i have a accer tablet and the other day it was on charge and i turned on and plugged in by cammera lead so i could upload some photos alll of a sudden the screeen went blaank and now what ever i do i cant turn it on ive tryed taking the battey out unplugging it everything and the worst part is i have a huge essay due in a few days !!!!!

Theres that little plastic tab inside the usb port that stops ypu putting cables in back to front but this can snap off and make the laptop short ciruit and switch off. my thinkpad does this but it doesnt suffer permanent damage

Theres that little plastic tab inside the usb port that stops ypu putting cables in back to front but this can snap off and make the laptop short ciruit and switch off. my thinkpad does this but it doesnt suffer permanent damage

thankyou very much you were a big help also if i could ask you just 1 more thing how would i go about fixing it p.s now it doesant even seem to recognise the power when i plug it in thanx again:cheesy: :cheesy:

well it probably blew a fuse (either in the charger or possibly a part of the tablet) and maybe damaged itself. Bear in midn though when doing this. NEVER OPEN THE PSU IF YOU WANT TO LIVE

Is it still in warratny?

DONT OPEN THE MACHINE AT ALL IF ITS IN WARRANTY IT WILL INVALIDATE IT - SEND IT TO THE PROS

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.