I bought a Compaq Presario in (about) 2002-2003. Ever since I bought the stupid machine I have ahd MAJOR issues with it. Now, it (upon start up and randomly throughout times that I have it turned on) it makes this horrible loud squeeling noise. Im use to a fan like sound (had an issue with that once too) but this is a loud loud noise. So, the left side of the machine, where the noise is coming from, has little vents. I tried to see if I could look inside there and see what was wrong but obv, was not able too. Soooo I just took a breath and blew into it (thinking it might be dust or something... even though its always in a bag or protected otherwise)... and a smoke like puff came out. Any idea why the hell this would happen? I am about ready to throw this thing out the window. Im not the only one who has threatened the machine :), my boyfriend has too. :rolleyes:

can anyone help???

I bought a Compaq Presario in (about) 2002-2003. Ever since I bought the stupid machine I have ahd MAJOR issues with it. Now, it (upon start up and randomly throughout times that I have it turned on) it makes this horrible loud squeeling noise. Im use to a fan like sound (had an issue with that once too) but this is a loud loud noise. So, the left side of the machine, where the noise is coming from, has little vents. I tried to see if I could look inside there and see what was wrong but obv, was not able too. Soooo I just took a breath and blew into it (thinking it might be dust or something... even though its always in a bag or protected otherwise)... and a smoke like puff came out. Any idea why the hell this would happen? I am about ready to throw this thing out the window. Im not the only one who has threatened the machine :), my boyfriend has too. :rolleyes:

can anyone help???

Compaq 2100 and 2500 are famous for little probs that turn into big ones...that squealing you hear are not a herd of pigs in your laptop...It's the 2 fans inside on the left...don't bother with the little vents...those are actually a type heat sink/heat disburser...not worth poking anything in there....

You are right about dust...especially if you are in an environment where there is smoke or a room with old carpet...

It is important that you open the laptop up and clean it out...while you're in there....replace the fans...it actually comes as one big unit....you can usually find em on Ebay...

This is tougher than it sounds...about 25 screws, 10 different ways to screw it up, and a headache...but I tell you what...once you get through it, you might as well open up your own laptop cleaning service for the 2500 because you will be an expert!

Here's the manual from compaq:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf

Good Luck!

:eek:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.