I have a Toshiba Satellite A55 laptop, which I used for 2 years without any problems. Last month the system began slowing to a crawl and then either freezing up or crashing completely. Hard drive was making all sorts of scratching noises, and one time I got the error message KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR. At that point I took it to a shop, and they told me it had bad blocks and should be replaced, so I bought a new drive.

I installed it myself, reinstalled Windows, and the computer worked flawlessly again for about three weeks. Then last night, I heard the hard drive making its scratchy noises, and this time I got a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. I turned the system off immediately and turned it back on again, whereupon it worked for 5 minutes and then froze up. I turned it off and haven't touched it since then.

I find it odd that I've had 2 hard drives do the same thing to me in such a short time span. Is there something related to usage that could be causing these errors? My friend had a suggestion: Our apartment is pretty much infested with cockroaches, and he thought they might be crawling into the hard drive somehow and damaging it. Is it possible for a cockroach to get inside a hard drive?

I really am getting tired of reinstalling windows, and I've been reading online about this chkdsk utility, which i'll try to use tonight to see if it will repair the damage, but I'm worried that even if I do manage to fix it, it'll only happen again. Anyone have any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is it possible for a cockroach to get inside a hard drive?

No, unless he's A+ certified

Hard Drives are built by the millions ,not rare to have 2 bad ones .

Did you resolve this issue? I was going to suggest that Bio matter may be causing issues with your RAM, but it is unlikely that anything could get into a hard drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.