I have two HP computers that have trojans that I can not get rid of so I backed up everything to computer 2 and then purchased a new Maxtor 6Y120PO drive and installed it on computer 2 with all the information I wanted to save. The instructions did fine and I was able to backup all the information from computer 2 to the new hard drive... then I formated computer 1 and transfered the new hard drive (with the information) to computer 1 but computer 1 will not recognize the new drive. Computer 1 recognizes the hard drive in the bios but I get no drive letter. When I use the MaxBlast 3 software to try to install the new drive in computer 1 it wants to format it first saying there is existing information on it and will be lost... I need to be able to transfer the information from the new hard drive to computer 1...the MaxBlast 3 program says it installed Dynamic Drive Overlay v9.84 on computer 2 but I can't get it to install the DDO on computer 1 without it first wanting to format the drive first... It has the information on it so I do not want it formated ofcourse...HELP please.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

So, in Windows, computer #1 doesn't see the drive, correct?

You need to browse to Computer Management by right-clicking "My Computer" on your desktop, then clicking "Manage."

From there, you should see the disk in the right-hand pane. You may be able to right-click it and choose "Change drive letter and paths," or you may have to click on the window menu..."Action," then "Rescan disks" to even get the disk to show in the right-hand pane.

Oh, and what does Butlerville mean to you?

So, in Windows, computer #1 doesn't see the drive, correct?

You need to browse to Computer Management by right-clicking "My Computer" on your desktop, then clicking "Manage."

From there, you should see the disk in the right-hand pane. You may be able to right-click it and choose "Change drive letter and paths," or you may have to click on the window menu..."Action," then "Rescan disks" to even get the disk to show in the right-hand pane.

Oh, and what does Butlerville mean to you?

Thanks for the reply... I forgot to mention that computer 2 has ME and computer 1 has 98se... when I right click on my computer i do not get Manage in the menu.. I guess it is not there in 98se and I could not find Computer Management under any menu... not knowing where to look anyway... but thanks... maybe with this little more information you may have another suggestion or know where I might locate it in 98se.

'Computer management' isn't a feature of the earlier Windows OS's

Are you making sure you are changing the drive id 'jumpers', and using the correct cable connectors, when you're moving these drives from system to system? If you are simply unplgging them from one machine, and plugging them into another, switching from 'Master' to 'slave' position as you go, then that won't work.

You need to corrctly configure each drive for the position it's being moved to.

Yes, definitely make sure the master/slave jumpers on the drive are set correctly for the drive's location on the new computer's IDE chain.

If the jumpers are set correctly, open a DOS box and see what the "fdisk" has to report about the drive.

commented: I'll second that +6

Yes, definitely make sure the master/slave jumpers on the drive are set correctly for the drive's location on the new computer's IDE chain.

If the jumpers are set correctly, open a DOS box and see what the "fdisk" has to report about the drive.

I agree with DMR, set the main drive jumper to Master and the second drive to Slave. If this still doesn't work set the second drive as 'Cable Select'

Also go into the BIOS on reboot to make sure that you can see both drives.

thanks to everyone's suggestions but the only way I could get it to work was to put the slave drive on the secondiary cable.. so I have one HD and the CD drive on the primary and the DVD drive and slave HD on the other.. works with no problems so far..

however note that all your drives will be running at the speed of the slowest drive on the cable... i.e. asuming your computer supports udma100, your udma100 hard drive would run at udma33 with a modern cd drive on the same cable.

I'd agree it definitely sounds like your jumpers are wrong.

DaveSW, that's not correct. Drives being limited to the speed of the slowest unit on the cable is only something that related to quite old systems. Most modern systems can run the drives at their correct speed, and that has been the case for some years now!

The feature is called "Independent Device Timing", and is so much a standard now that you don't see it even get a mention ;)

really? I've always found drives run faster when configured this way... in fact, quite a few seconds difference on boot times.

The delay in boot times is a different thing to the actual speed of operation. Just because booting up is taking longer doesn't mean the drive is operating slower.

The behaviour you describe is most likely a delay in drive detection during POST, due to the configuration used.

Ah well. Live and learn as they say. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.