Hi. I desperately need the help this community.

After installing a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu CPU cooler on my Athlon64 3000+ @ 2.00 GHz, my computer failed to boot. It didn't even post or go to BIOS. I have a Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard and managed to enter the BIOS setup after clearing CMOS.

However, after loading the deafult settings in BIOS, my computer went back to it's state of not booting, like it did before clearing CMOS. I tried this procedure several times with the same result each time: Blank/black screen (no cursor) after setting the BIOS deafults (I've tried some other arrangements in BIOS as well, without luck).

By the way, the BIOS detecs my CPU correctly displaying the right name and speed.

There is no sign of, or messages about, errors on my boot drive, and the BIOS detects the correct amount of memory (RAM).

The question is, have I managed to destroy my CPU in the process? How can I tell if it is broken?

I removed the Zalman cooler and found to marks which looked like small burn marks in the cooling paste, but I'm not sure.

I have also tried reinstalling the factory cooler with the same result as above.

I really hope some of you can help me out.

Thanks.

Borre

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Burns?

Please provide pics

Did you re-apply thermal compound when you installed the new heat sink?

no use in sending pictures, because i have already wiped the thermal grease of the heat sink.

jbennet: yes i did apply thermal grease

The latest news is that in my attempt to flash/update the BIOS, ASUS' EZ Flash failed and now nothing works, not even after clearing CMOS. The computer doesn't go to post and the screen shows absolutely nothing, no matter what I try.

Does anynone have any experience with the CrashFree BIOS recocvery tool that ASUS delivers? I'm not sure if it will work but I think now it's my last option (except from buying a new chip).

But if the computer doesn't POST, how can it detect my DVD/CD-ROM player?

Okay, thanks again [IMG]http://forums.amd.com/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

if you destroyed your cpu you will smell a bad smell inside of it and it wont do anything at all period. it will basicaly be like really really bad burnt toast like ewwwwww.

trust me its not your cpu that got destroyed

lol bad timing.

Sounds like you may have installed your CPU without seating the HSF properly. Very likely killed your CPU, but probably did not damage your mobo. Best of Luck ~Mav.

Did you make sure the back of your mobo is not in contact with the panel behind it? The new mobo should have came with riser screws...your mobo will short out on you and not do anything if there is a short.

hello 2007 thread. just needed to point that out

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.