Hello All,
I am new to this community, I am a novice when it comes to computers and I hope that I am posting this question in the correct forum, If not I am sorry in advance.

I just purchased a new machine from Dell. The specs are as follows.
Intel® Core™2 Duo Proc E6550 (2.33GHz,4MB L2Cache,1333FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz - 2DIMMs
Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Digital Flat Panel Display
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

I know that it would be helpful to post what mother board it has but I don't know how to find that out.

My main question is what kind of ram will work best with this system, from what I have found on the web I think that I need to have the Ram match the CPU as far as speed, but I don't know that for sure, there is so much information out there about it that it has overwhelmed me. I will be using the computer for some gaming and basic web surfing along with some word processing. I would like to upgrade to 2 GM memory but didn't know if I could use the Memory that was already in there or if I should go all new.
Well this has turned in to a disertation. If there is anything that I have left out please let me know, and if you have any suggestions I would appriciate them.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Welcome, and yes you have posted it in the right place.
If you are currently running Windows XP 1Gb is ample, if you are running Windows Vista, which i am guessing you are, 2Gb of RAM is a worthwhile upgrade.
If you download and run the following software:
http://crucial.com/systemscanner/loader.aspx?Agree=Yes
Then run the small program that you have downloaded. This will take you to Cruical Technologies sytem scanner facility. When you run the program you must be online. This will then take you to what crucial has found from your system. It will show how much (1Gb in your case) and what type it is. Then it shows what possible upgrades you could pick. You can then go onto buy them from crucial or take the information you have gained and buy the RAM somewhere else.

Thanks, will they suggest the best or the most expensive?

They show a wide variety of different makes and speeds. As the RAM gets a higher speed and more storage capacity the bigger the price. But brands do vary.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.