Hello. I have the following problem:
After installing some drivers for the video card, I rebooted my computer. But after Login off the monitor went black, and its LED start blinking (like in the moments the computer was switch off). The fans and other lights from the computer were on, I heard the hard drive working, the red LED starts blinking and then it switches off. Also the keyboard and mouse have no power.
I've removed and installed again the video card. There is no sign of burning on it, and the fan works ok. I checked the same thing for the RAM.
So, I have no signal to my monitor, no power to keyboard and mouse, but the fans, HDD and other case and mainboard lights seems to work.
What do you think?What should I do?

This is my system:
Intel e4400 2000Mhz
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3
Video: HD2600Pro Sonic 256DDR3, 128bit, PCI-E
2x1024 DDR2 800
Seagate 250GB SATA2
WD 80GB ATA
DVDRW ATA
Power: Sirtec 430W

I hope I will get help from one of you.
Thank you.
(..and please excuse my English)

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Reading your post I can think of couple of things you can do. My guess is that the refresh rate or screen resolution is not supported by your monitor. Other possibility is (if your VGA looks like this) that you might have plugged in your monitor in wrong jack. (dual DVI)

Try this.

- different (better) monitor or
- other DVI or
- boot to safe mode and remove the video driver. Upon reboot your OS will automatically try to install the video driver. I suggest that you use the older version that worked and troubleshoot with the driver/VGA manufacturer. Let them know of your problem.

I had a similar problem - it turned out to be a bad memory chip. Check your manual to make sure that you have your memory in the correct pair of dimm sockets and then check which socket to use if you only have one memory chip.

I am looking at a picture of your board and I see a yellow pair and a red pair. On my board, A1 and A2 are the closest to the cpu slot and B1 and B2 are below that. Mine are loaded single chip to B1; pair of chips to A1 & B1. If your MoBo is similar and the problem is with memory, then the memory in B1 is bad - remove it and put the other chip in its place.

I hope this helps!

Grimjack is right the yellow ones

Thank you for your answers.
@Grimjack : The original position of the memories was A1+B1 (both on yellow). I've tried various combination with each chip, but no result. The chips seems to get a bit warm..is not this a sign that they work? ..or maybe it's the heat from the system..
Unfortunately I can't test them on this old computer. It doesn't support DDR2. Same thing with the video card(it's PCI-E)..:(

I've tried to take each component to analyze it:
- Monitor/connections: they work, both digital and analog connections, because I've test them on this computer. I have a Samsung 940BF LCD.
@Chaky: I can't enter BIOS or safe mode, the computer doesn't display anything. Also I've made the correct connections. I've tried with both monitors that I have: an old CRT and the LCD..the same result: no display.
- Mainboard and CPU: the fans, LED, and other connections from the mainboard seems to work. The CPU.. I feel heat coming from the CPU fan, also when I switch on the computer, it takes 1-2 seconds before the CPU fan start..which makes me think that the mainboard(..or CPU) knows when it needs the fan (so they work).
- Memories: here I'm not sure.. In my noob opinion they seem to work.
- Video card: here I have a big question mark. The card fan works ok. Also it seems to get a bit warm.. but something tells me this is the source of the problem..Is there another way to test this?
- Other components: HDD, DVDRW are ok.

If you have any other guesses, I'm waiting to hear them.
Thanks again.

I misunderstood "logging off" part for "logging on", as after OS booted.... my bad.

Hmmm... my gut feeling says that your mobo is out. Are you certain that you installed video drivers? Is it possible that you flashed the BIOS instead, 'coz it sounds like a bad flash. BIOS and video drivers are not too related, but if you use some update program (like ASUS update for ASUS mobos) you could be updating your drivers AND your BIOS at a same time.... just a thought.

This is what I have installed:
http://www.palit.biz/en/support/driver.html - from the ATI driver, the WinXP version.

I've just came back from a service shop. They did some tests, and it's the video card that failed.
They also said that the mainboard pci-e slot could be the reason..Now i'm thinking to buy another card. This time on Nvidia (they have better drivers as far as I know), and send this one to service. If the new card will crash too, then It's the mainboard...I pray it is not..

With the computer off and unplugged, reset your cmos through the cmos jumper. Look for CLR_CMOS, it is printed on the motherboard. Put a jumper cap on the two pins to temporarily short the two pins or a screwdriver tip to touch the two pins for about 10 seconds. Make sure the jumper cap is totally removed before turning on your computer.

Meanwhile, run your computer with one memory stick installed. Test one stick at a time in different slots.

Be sure the video card and memory stick installed are properly seated.

With the computer off and unplugged, reset your cmos through the cmos jumper. Look for CLR_CMOS, it is printed on the motherboard. Put a jumper cap on the two pins to temporarily short the two pins or a screwdriver tip to touch the two pins for about 10 seconds. Make sure the jumper cap is totally removed before turning on your computer.

Meanwhile, run your computer with one memory stick installed. Test one stick at a time in different slots.

Be sure the video card and memory stick installed are properly seated.

Hi. You really read my mind.. I was about to do that. But can I do that by removing the the battery? the word short circuit kinda give me the chills..

Yes, you can also reset your cmos through the battery but it's better to do it in the cmos jumper. In that way you can totally clear the cmos.

Meanwhile, in order to detect a bad ram or dimm slot you must run your system with one memory stick installed.

I've reset the CMOS with a jumper, but there is no change. The memories are ok. At the service they made a test with another video card and the system started.
But again, they said it could be the PCI-E slot, and the way I will find out is if the new video card will crash too. I'm sending this one back and meanwhile I'm going to buy another one with Nvidia.

Maybe the slot is dirty or having some foreign build up inside on it. Why don't you clean first the gold contact of your video card with a pencil eraser and reseat it several times into slot. In this way you can clean both the slot and the card. Test it again.

If it still doesn't work, I think it's time to replace your video card.

Also look for oxydation on the card connection area.

Doesn't seem to have any oxidation on the connection area. The card is brand new, I have it for 3 days. I'm sending it back tomorrow. Also, I will buy a new card. I think it will be the 8500GT from Leadtek. An 8600 would be great, but my budget is tight :(
Thank you very much for your answers! This forum is great.

Look for 8600 GT from BFG or Gainward (I think). My bro bought it relatively cheap. ($200)

Good luck

Hello. I bought an 8600GT from Leadtek, but now I have the following problem: in tests like 3dMark06/05 or games, the system freeze and I have to restart the computer. I've reinstalled windows and also all the drivers.. but same result. For example, in 3DMark it crashes right on the begining when the soldiers appear with their guns.
I heard some similar cases where the power suply was the reason, but I think I have a good power suply.. don't I? It's Sirtec 430W.

Couple of suggestions:

- make sure you connected the card properly. Also, VGA power cables too (if any) <-- possible that your PSU doesn't have those cables.

- try older drivers. NVIDIA has tendency to release drivers too early.

- try newest beta version, since it could be driver issue.

- Do not overclock the card. In my experience, that 10% faster that is possible is not noticeable. It only makes system unstable. Considerably.

- Do not overclock CPU. at least not that much

- increase voltage for the mem and/or CPU (overheating possible)

The card is on PCI-E and does not have a power connector. Also, I have not OC any of the components of my system. Can you recommend me a good software that monitors my system temperature?

I have 7800 GT and it requires extra power supply. In a sense of cables.

Temp. monitoring.... There must be some software that came with your motherboard that includes live temperature monitoring... and there are tons of freeware on the net. If it runs, it's good software.

Don't expect memory temp. monitoring.

If it keeps failing, and there are no hardware conflicts, you probably purchased faulty VGA. I suggest you take it back asap. It is either faulty or incompatible (not 100% compatible).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.