I am working on a computer that will not boot up at all, just get a blue screen of dealth. This is in safe mode as well. I tried to boot up by the windows xp cd and go to recovery concole but when i do that I recover the boot sector and mbr and still get the same blue screen. What i need is a boot cd that will allow me into the hd to fix it or back it up. any suggestions

p.s customer does not have a 3.5 diskette

thank you

shadow

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1. Create a bootable CD using BartPE

2. Pull the HD from the machine, and put it in another machine as a slave HD.

Are you familiar with ubunto? it is bootable program on a disk that allows you to boot crashed computers as long as you have no hardware isues

>>cannot boot into harddrive what do you recommend
Reformat the hard drive with a low-level formatting tool then reinstall the operating system and all other programs that you lost. Or you could do what I did once -- toss it out the back door and smash it into millions of tiny pieces.

Are you familiar with ubunto? it is bootable program on a disk that allows you to boot crashed computers as long as you have no hardware isues

It's called Ubuntu, and it's an operating system, just like Windows and OS X. It won't actually boot the crashed hard drive, but it will give you an operating system that's functional enough to allow you to rescue your data (assuming it still exists) and save it to an external source. In this case, it's not much different than Salem's solution of using BartPE to create a bootable version of Windows, although that may be preferable to the original poster, seeing that he/she is comfortable using Windows.

You have a failed hard drive. Replace it.
Then put your old drive into a desktop computer jumpered as Slave with the main drive jumpered as Master.
You can then recover the data with recovery software or do a drag and drop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.