We have two programs we use that require software keys to function. They are dongles that plug into the 25 pin female parallel port on the computer, and the printer cable itself plugs into them. Our laptop computers were just upgraded, but have only USB ports. I was hoping to use this cable: http://usbgear.com/USBG-LPT25.html for the dongles but was told by a tech guy it wouldn't work and "...there is no way to convert a software key to any USB device. You will need to add real hardware LPT ports". So fellow geeks - how do I get these keys to work with our new laptops? I have not purchased one of those cables - at $40 each it is an expensive "maybe this will work anyway" test.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

How about talking to the s/w manufacturer which presumably sells the dongles with the s/w as a protection mechanism.

Ask them how to run their s/w on a laptop with only USB ports, maybe they'll supply you with the appropriate h/w.

How about talking to the s/w manufacturer which presumably sells the dongles with the s/w as a protection mechanism.QUOTE]

Thank You Salam -
Right after I posted this request for help I called one of the two companies involved. For $95 per dongle I can get USB dongles. I have not yet called the second company, so my question still stands - is it possible to use a USB port to read (or whatever it is that happens) a parallel port software dongle? $95 is pretty steep - especially when we already own the software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.