I have a system in mind, and it's almost ready to go, except for one thing - the power supply! I've been told that my rig will need a fair amount of juice, and that I need to be careful which PSU I buy. The first thing I was going to do was just buy the highest wattage PSU I could find, but apparently a high wattage doesn't guarantee a high amperage, which I understand is the most important consideration. I've tried using online power supply calculators, but I can't make head nor tail of them; they ask for information that I'm completely ignorant about. So, I was hoping that I could give you my specs and let one of your good selves recommend a PSU for my needs (feel free to recommend changes to the rest of the rig if you like). Here we go!

Graphics Card: nVidia 8800 GTX 768MB
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W Go Stepping (Retail 775)
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI NF650i 775
RAM: Corsair 2GB PC2-6400 XMS2 (2x1GB)
HDD: 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax 20 SATA2 8MB (Also using an external USB 500GB Western Digital HDD)

I'm not sure what else will be relevant to the final power requirement, but hopefully that'll do. One thing I am aware of is the fact that my graphics card will require two PCI-E connectors.

Cheers for reading.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I'd say make sure it's above 600watts. but the standard 400w psu will work too. would overheat though

So would it be a safe bet that a 600+W PSU will have enough amperage, just because of the sheer volume of watts? If so, that's music to my ears (well, literature to my eyes).

Thanks muchly :)

yeah, that should be enough. if you want to be absolutely certain - buy brandname PSUs, not just simple junk. that way you will know it's 600w, and not 200w able to peak to 600w before it burns :)

btw we're almost neighbours

Haha yes, I noticed you too were unfortunate enough to be born on this turd of an island! Ahh it ain't all bad, I suppose :P

I'll take your advice and make sure to buy a decent PSU, at least 600W.

Cheers!

born? no way :) I'm here on relocation. and for now - loving the place

cheers )

550w+ (no need for over 750)

and yeah its the amperage on the 12v rails that matter the most. Look out for that

Cheers fellas - I've settled on a 700W GameXStream PSU. Perhaps overkill at this stage, but if I plan to SLI another GTX at some point it might be worth the investment.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Actually, I'm not so sure 700W is enough for two GTX's. Oh well, I won't be SLI-ing for quite a while anyway!

yeah, 800 is the minumum for high end cards using SLI

Ahh you got there before me hehe.

The GameXStream won't suffice for SLI. The main reason being that because the GTX requires two PCI-E connectors, you'll need another two to SLI, which the GameXStream doesn't have. Also, I don't think there'd be enough juice in her anyway (that sounds wrong...)

I've had a look at "nVidia SLI GTX Certified" hardware guides, and found an SLI GTX compatible PSU, which is "OCZ Technology PC POWER&COOLING 750W SILENCER QUAD BLACK PSU". I think I can get away with it being 750W because there isn't a hell of a lot else that requires powering. It's actually 750W with a peak of 825W. And it's all I can afford at the moment, and SLI is a long ways away anyhow (i.e. when a single GTX doesn't cut the mustard anymore). I think it will be good though; a single +12V rail gives out 60A!

Happy gaming!

thats fine, just dont buy a cheap one - brand names are the best. - a cheap "800w" might really be like 600

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.