I have a Sony VAIO PCG-8P1L laptop that only says "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND" on boot. BIOS still tells the correct time so I don't think its the CMOS battery. I tried to boot to CD (Windows, Ubuntu and diagnostics cd), but I don't get an option for boot order on boot. Tried to change boot order in BIOS, but in the boot menu there are four options, all of which are FLOPPY DISK DRIVE. Not sure why, since this laptop doesn't even have a floppy drive. I did try shifting each FLOPPY DISK up into the top position and then rebooting, but it didn't work. Hard drive seems to be okay as I can plug it into a USB HD adapter and see the contents from other system.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Please select the Restore Defaults option in BIOS.

Yeah, I found that after posting and was then able to set the CD boot option. Loaded XP disc and performed repair which got everything working again.

Good job!

Yeah, I found that after posting and was then able to set the CD boot option. Loaded XP disc and performed repair which got everything working again.

Hi there,

I got the same issue with my Sony Viao Laptop yesterday and searching for answer since yesterday, luckiley i found you had same issue and solved, can please explain what exactly you did for CD drive show up.

My Sony Vaio when i restart it opens Viao logo and then operatng system not found, but when i goto BIOS and saw only four types in my boot sequence 1) Optical Drive 2) Floppy Drive (Which i dont have) 3) Hard Drive 4) Network

I tried to Boot from my CD Drive but no luck and i can hear sound for a while my CD spins inside but No Operating System found messege.

Please Help

i have the same problem too, but my cd drive is not detected so i cant boot from from cd drive... is it probable that theres something wrong with my hard drive or motherboard?

I've been dealing with a Vaio frv28 laptop that couldn't find the operating system and wouldn't boot from the CD.

After removing the hard drive and booting the machine up (with the hard drive still out) it seemed to allow the CD to function again.

Reinstalled hard drive and now the CD ROM works but it's still causing problems being that somehow the wrong bios is installed....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.