I have a Hauppauge WinTV card and Windows Vista with Media Center. The recording function on Media Center seems to me somewhat limited. I can only record whole programs according to the times set forth in the Program Guide.

My main use for the TV card, my cable subscription, and for Media Center is to record sporting events and watch them later. Since the most competitive games run long, and the subsequent games that I also want to record are often on a different network, I end up missing the end of every good game so Media Center can record the kickoff of another game.

What I am looking for is a DV Recording program that is more flexible in terms of scheduling recordings of a certain channel from time endpoints that I can specify. You know, kind of like I used to be able to do on my FU_N VCR TWENTY FU_N YEARS AGO!

Thanks in advance for any help,
J

Have you tried the cheapo rack at Office Depot, etc.?

Have you tried the cheapo rack at Office Depot, etc.?

I don't have time to hunt.
I was hoping for a recommendation.
But thanks for the advice, anyhow.

It's hard to make a recommend on something that's to be that personal.
The same store, and I presume others, have other selection available online, however they're bound to be more pricey.

It's hard to make a recommend on something that's to be that personal.
The same store, and I presume others, have other selection available online, however they're bound to be more pricey.

Well, i figure it's worth a look then.
Thanks for the tip.

Well the light eventually dawns. An alternative that you might want to consider. As I read it a critical feature is a preset start/stop time. Unfortunately this isn't going to be much help there.
An NTSC adapter is used to transfer the signal such as from a VCR or your cable box, to a digital file format, *.avi by default. Under a NT file system you can record for a preset time or for the capacity of the drive, BUT, someone will have to be there to START the record feature. You can then edit the parts out that you don't like, such as commercials, and write to a (for example) DVD-rewriteable disc(s) for viewing at your leisure later.

This is from a videophile.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.