Hi Gurus
Running Windows ME. The error - Cannot find server or DNS error appears when i select any website in Internet Explorer 6.0; I can dial-in to my isp if i put the ip address of the ISP their website opens. The problem came up when the IE homepage defaulted to "about:blank"; changed home page to www.abc.net.au or anything else it is not resolved.
I have run Spybot Search and destroy 1.3, CWShredder v1.59.1, Ad-Aware SE personal, and HijackThis v1.98.2;
Please advice. I have gone through alot of similar threads on your forum. Thanks for you patience.
The Hijackthis log file is:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:02:28 AM, on 19/09/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.51 SP1 (5.51.4807.2300)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TOSHIBA\NETDEVSW\NETDEVSW.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\STARFISH\TRUESYNC\TSTOOL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.abc.net.au/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /background
O4 - Startup: Network Device Switch.lnk = C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\NetDevSw\NetDevSW.exe
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: TrueSync Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Starfish\TrueSync\TSTool.exe

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Not sure if that is a complete log. Doesn't look like one. I would strongly advise that you upgrade to Internet Exlorer 6 & get the service packs for it.

Hi Crunchie
I reinstalled windows Me OS and all the Windows updates for ME and IE6.0. So now the problems is solved and have protect the system with Ad-ware and Spybot S&D. thanks.

Cool :). Glad you sorted it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.