Hey good folks at DaniWeb !!!!!!
I have a Compaq , Presario, Windows XP Pro. . This is a test computer that I have and does not have any Microsoft updates on it. I want to keep it like that. I have had this computer hooked up to the Internet and it worked just fine for a while but then it quit being able to go onto the Internet , and I get this message that states......C:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm.
I have tried EVERYTHING that I found on Google and nothing seems to help. I can NOT get this computer to connect to the internet. It says that it is "connected" to the Internet and that I have a 10.0 mbps.. Packets sent, but nothing recieved. I can't get on Google.com, Microsoft.com........no sites at all !
Here is my HijackThis log....maybe the answer is in it ?!?!?!
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:47:34 AM, on 7/10/2008
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DESKonTOP] C:\Program Files\DESKonTOP\DESKonTOP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 2416 bytes
Any and all help is very much appreciated !!!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hello Mr. Crunchie Sir.....AGAIN :) . Seems like we just "chatted" not too long ago ! Glad to see ya again !
I downloaded that file, ( Winsockfix.exe), to a thumb drive, put it onto the desttop of the problemed computer, went to run it but got an error saying......." Winsockfix.exe is not a valid Win32 Application".
I don't know what to do now. Any more help Sir ?
Someone told me to download and use LSP-FIX, found at
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
What to you think ? I'm not downloading a thing till you tell me to !
Thanks for your reply !

WAIT !!!! I downloaded it again and this time it opened up and ran ! But, I still get the same message. I've tried dell.com,microsoft .com and Google. What seems funny is that when I type in something like microsoft.com, an error pops up that says " Internet Explorer could not open the search page".
Then , when I click "OK", it's as if I didn't even try to do any search at all. The words Microsoft.com, don't show up in the dropdown " like it should. It's as if I didn't try to search for a web page at all!?!?!?!!?
Don't know whats goin on....HELP

Could it be where the LAN is plugged into the back of the computer ? Should I try to put an Ethernet Card in it ?
Just asking.

You can give lspfix a try, it does the job too.
Make sure the connections are enabled in Network Connections too.

I ran LSP-FIX and here is what I see. First off, I haven't made any changes at all. I ran the program and this is what it showed. I still have it on the screen and will keep it there till I hear back from you.
2 Sections..... #1 KEEP & #2 REMOVE
Under "KEEP, it had 4 things listed. I will list them and then put what thier description is beside them.
# 1 mswsock.dll - Tcpip
#2 winrnr.dll - NTDS
#3 nwprovau.dll - NWLink IPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
#4 rsvpsp.dll - (Protocol handler)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Under "REMOVE", it was empty.

In the center of the screen it said that " NO PROBLEMS FOUND"
It looks like I could select the items listed under " KEEP" and then send them over to the "REMOVE" side for deletion..........but I don't know whats, what.
Should I leave it as is ?

could the way that I set up an Outlook Express Account, have anything to do with this acting this way ? I remember that I had JUST set up an O E account on the computer and it hasn't worked since then. I wonder if I should delete Internet Explorer 6 and reinstall a new one ?
Let me know what ya think , please.

All the entries found by LSPfix are valid.
Try deleting the OE account you created and try again. You could also try a system restore.

I restored it back to before I had installed OE, but it didn't fix the issue. Got any more suggestions ? I'll work with you as long as you want to ! I have a Windows XP Pro, restore disk if all else fails.

Have you tried a SYSTEM RESTORE to a few days before this started happening??

Have you tried uninstalling the device from Device Manager and then restarting the computer? This will install the drivers again that Windows was loaded with at installation. If this doesn't work then you may have to download the original drivers from the Compaq support site onto your flash drive and copy and install to computer.

Try running IEFIX.htm which will repair IE and run a System File Check.

FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED-FIXED !
We finaly got this thing fixed !!!
First off, I had tried System Restore and that didn't work.
I ran IEFIX and that didn't work.
I got to thinking that the IEXPLORE.exe was bad so I just went into ADD/REMOVE Programs , then ADD/REMOVE Windows Componets, and I removed Internet Explorer. I put my installation CD in and repaired or replaced the old IE. Restarted and it worked !
I want to thank you all, especially Crunchie, for hanging in there with me for soo long ! Mr. Crunchie, if ya keep bailing me out on all these computer problems, I will have to name any more kids I have after you :D .......lets just hope no kids come along though !!!
I really appreciate ALL the help I get fron DaniWeb, my 2nd family !

Glad you got it sorted and glad to help :)

commented: Most helpful and patient !!! +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.