I'm assuming this issue to be caused by a virus or spyware though none of my protection/scanning software can find anything.

Layered on top of all of my desktop icons is another icon. Not another shortcut or application. Specifically, an Adope icon. You can see all of the original icons through the other one. All shortcuts work properly. When I look at their properties, the original icon file is shown. When I add new shortcuts, those too are covered by an Adobe icon.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

A virus seems a likely suspect. I tried a quick search at Symantec using "layered icons" and it gave me over 6000 hits. I don't have the time to review them all. If you want to take a look, go to and type in your query words.

What are you using to check for viruses, worms, etc.? AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, have you assured that you have the latest download/update on that AV software?

Thanks, I'll check that link. I'm using Trend Micro Officescan and its updated regularly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.