I received a message from a friend yesterday thru MSN messenger, he sent me a screensaver link and I thought it was a screensaver he made from the pictures we took. After I downloaded the file and clicked on it, nothing happened. So today I turned on my computer, and a Winlogon properties keeps popping on my desktop. I have to click the close button for several times until it disappears.

I checked on some malware pages, and noticed that this is some kind of virus that could hack into emails and files. Do anyone know what I can do before the winlogon turns into something that can cause problems to my comp.

Spec: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
This is the image of the winlogon on the startup: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8487/winlogon.jpg

The file I downloaded yesterday is DSC00148.SCR

Yeah, winlogon is the windows logon screen. Many viruses replace it with a false one which then spoofs your password from you (Thats why business systems make you do control-alt-del before logging on, as only the windows one can read this sequence).

Firstly, make sure yours hasnt been modified by sticking in your windows disk and running "sfc /scannow" at the run prompt.

I also highly reccomend you run a *full* scan with an up-to-date antvirus scanner then post a HijackThis logfile here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.