Hi everyone, hoping I can find someone that can help. Recently my computer's background changed to a blue screen with a message saying "Warning! Spyware detected." Since the computer wasn't used much I failed to update any antivirus software and let it lapse. Now I can't even get on the internet to download any. I loaded the computer in safe mode and when I went to get on the internet it wouldn't connect so I went to look at my network connections and there was nothing there. How can i fix this problem? Can i put antivirus software on a cd and then load it onto the computer? Will this even help? Also how do I get an internet connection. Any help would be great. I'm not the greatest with computers, so any help would be great. Thanks!

Hi Welcome to daniweb. You obviously have another computer to use since you are posting here. If you have a flash drive you can load removal tools onto that flash drive, take it to the affected computer and put them on from the flash drive.
One thing to also try is this, you say you booted to safe mode but could not get onto the internet. Sounds to me like you chose Safe mode but not Safe mode with networking, which is what you need to try.
I don't know your operating system so you need to go to this link and choose the instructions that apply to your operating system in order to boot to Safe Mode with Networking.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html

If you are then able to access the internet then you need to do the following:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?cdlPid=10997763

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version if one is available. There are always new updates to the definitions.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then choose the drive(s) then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected if malware is found.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily.The log can be retrieved by opening up MBAM and clicking on the Logs Tab at the top of the program .

Reboot the computer to normal mode. Then run MBA-M again, and again have it remove everything found.

Post the logs back here.

Now if you are not able to access the internet in safe mode with networking then load the MBA-M install program onto the flash drive and then install it onto the affected computer. Don't worry about updating it at that time, just run the Full Scan with it and have it remove everything found.
Reboot the computer. Then try again to access the internet and if it is possible, update MBA-M and run another full scan, removing everything found, Reboot again and then post back here with the logs.
Judy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.