Hi there,

Ok, I just recently upgraded to a new 64 bit SATA RAID system & the person who put it together took forever LOL

There was something wrong w/ the XP drivers or something.

Anyway, I'm on XP now instead of 2000 with 1 G Memory & I can't remember the HD stats, but I know it's over 70 GB.

Yes I run Anti Vir & Spybot & Spyware blaster & even Scan Spyware.

I use FF, not IE & I have ZA always running.

What are the problems I'm having you ask?

1. Even w/ the new system, I still have to reboot every 48-72 hrs. & Outlook seems to crash every so often at times when e-mail is coming in, everything else siezes. I can't X out of a window or do much of anything until the mail has settled in.

Yes, I always have a lot of stuff open, but I had a ton of stuff open on the smaller system & I seem to have more problems w/ this one.

2. I woke up yesterday & it looks like my computer just rebooted on its own. Scary sh*t.

3. My system just went off electrical power & went on to my APC & I was sitting right here & all the lights are on, so I know there's nothing wrong w/ the electricity. It's not even raining outside for a change.

4. Some times my HD just runs & runs for like 30 minutes straight.

Pls. help me, I'm getting nervous about this.

Thanks & I hope everyone is enjoying their wknd.

Michelle :)

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Go to My Computer and r-click the C: drive, select Properties, then select tools, try doing a defrag first, then if the problem continues, try checking for errors, or you can search for errors first, but it will take longer.

Ok, I did that, but I'm still having problems. I go to find a file in the dialogue box & I'm pressing the little yellow file folder "up" button & when it goes from a drive to My Computer, it hangs for about 10 seconds.

Also, what is this root kit virus & how do I get rid of it if I have it. Anti Vir is not picking it up.

Michelle

Oh Oh! Rootkit, that's not good at all. Try this site: http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/scan_unhackme.html The unhackme program, that you use, from the above site, is a trial version.

Also, download Ewido, and scan your computer with it after you try the above site. You can download a trial version of Ewido here: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Be sure you update it before using it, and when it finds a problem, be sure to select the check box to do the same action (clean) when it finds a problem, otherwise, you will have to click continue, to keep scanning with every problem it finds.

what is this root kit virus & how do I get rid of it if I have it. Anti Vir is not picking it up.

There are many "rootkit" variants, but if you have no reason to suspect that you are infected with one, I wouldn't worry about that for now.

The problems you're describing, especially given the fact that the system is newly-built, really sound like hardware/driver/etc. issues instead of symptoms of malicious infections. Are there any error/warning messages in the System and/or Application logs in the Event Viewer which might shed some light on the cause(s) of ht eproblems?

Ok, I never said I had it, I was wondering how I would know if I did have it b/c I heard the anti virus programs aren't picking it up.

How can I use Ewido when I already have Anti Vir on the system. I thought you can't run more than one program at a time.

Michelle

Oh Oh! Rootkit, that's not good at all. Try this site: http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/scan_unhackme.html The unhackme program, that you use, from the above site, is a trial version.

Also, download Ewido, and scan your computer with it after you try the above site. You can download a trial version of Ewido here: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Be sure you update it before using it, and when it finds a problem, be sure to select the check box to do the same action (clean) when it finds a problem, otherwise, you will have to click continue, to keep scanning with every problem it finds.

Ewido will run with other virus programs running.

No errors other than the memory error the other day & every since I switched from OE to Outlook, Outlook has caused problems when I am scrolling to file an e-mail or even when it loads, it takes forever & I don't feel it should on the new system.

I tried to upload a screenshot of what happens, but I don't think it attached :(

Michelle

There are many "rootkit" variants, but if you have no reason to suspect that you are infected with one, I wouldn't worry about that for now.

The problems you're describing, especially given the fact that the system is newly-built, really sound like hardware/driver/etc. issues instead of symptoms of malicious infections. Are there any error/warning messages in the System and/or Application logs in the Event Viewer which might shed some light on the cause(s) of ht eproblems?

Maybe check in IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/and select the email program you are using.

I haven't used IE in ages.

What do you mean check it off?

My computer doesn't know which e-mail program I'm using?

Michelle

Maybe check in IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/and select the email program you are using.

Yeh all these online scanner programs only work on IE & I don't want to open it. :(

Also it says I shouldn't use it on a productive computer &* I'm not sure I want to take a chance, as I need this baby intact :)

Thanks

Michelle

Ewido will run with other virus programs running.

Also, I forgot to mention, that this problem I also had on the old system.

I copy & then paste & it won't work or, in MBs (usually only in these sites) I copy, paste & then it deletes from my clipboard. I have to literally copy each time I want to paste my post into multiple MBs.

With my system prior to the last one, I never ever had that problem.

Michelle

And another problem is when I'm in the middle of filing an e-mail & e-mail comes in, it seizes up the computer & the box where I'm filing in goes wonky & I have to close it down & re-open it again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.