I wish I could follow the "read me first" instructions however I have a virus which whenever I attempt to open programs it comes up with a search window. I think I removed the virus that caused this a while ago (not sure) and it just messed things up.

Can you please tell me how to recover from this so I may follow the "read me first instructions" and hopefully remove this problem?

Thank you so much.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I also wanted to add. I can open internet explorer but it only works for one shortcut. I can also open firefox but only because it shows up right on the find program list. Internet explorer does not give the search prompt however firefox does.

How exactly did you remove this infection and what was the infection?
Have you tried to boot to Safe Mode with Networking in order to run the programs in the Read Me Sticky?

Hi, Try to scan your system with updated antivirus. Otherwise, virus can cause serious issues. If possible maintain all the backup of the data before situation reach at its worst point.

I cannot do what you suggested because I can't find the programs to run them...unless I can run them from safe mode. Let me try.

I am asking again, How exactly did you remove this infection and what was the infection?

You won't find the programs on your computer until you download them, I also said earlier all of them can be run from Safe Mode.

What I do for clients that have this sort of problem is to remove the drive from their system, plug it into an external carrier/enclosure that I connect to my Linux OS via a high-speed eSata connection, and then run 3 different virus scanners (ClamAV, F-Prot, McAfee) on the disc (they each catch stuff the others don't) at their highest sensitivity level. I review the logs, eliminate the false positives, check which items are necessary for system operation, remove the infected files and archives, and finally clean up the registry. Some viruses actually infect components on the recovery partition, so reinstalling Windows still results in an infected system... Finally, I reinstall the disc in their system, boot into recovery mode so the system can restore missing dll's, boot into regular mode, update the system, and finally reinstall broken applications. Sometimes when the recovery partition is infected, I have to copy back the files that were infected with clean versions before I boot into recovery mode. In any case, I have always been able to restore proper operation, but this is not cheap.

So, if you can run a virus scanner on the system, at least when booted into "safe" mode, try that first. FWIW, I don't see many boot sector viruses these days, but the recovery partition infections are becoming more common.

What I do for clients that have this sort of problem is to remove the drive from their system, plug it into an external carrier/enclosure that I connect to my Linux OS via a high-speed eSata connection, and then run 3 different virus scanners (ClamAV, F-Prot, McAfee) on the disc (they each catch stuff the others don't) at their highest sensitivity level. I review the logs, eliminate the false positives, check which items are necessary for system operation, remove the infected files and archives, and finally clean up the registry. Some viruses actually infect components on the recovery partition, so reinstalling Windows still results in an infected system... Finally, I reinstall the disc in their system, boot into recovery mode so the system can restore missing dll's, boot into regular mode, update the system, and finally reinstall broken applications. Sometimes when the recovery partition is infected, I have to copy back the files that were infected with clean versions before I boot into recovery mode. In any case, I have always been able to restore proper operation, but this is not cheap.

So, if you can run a virus scanner on the system, at least when booted into "safe" mode, try that first. FWIW, I don't see many boot sector viruses these days, but the recovery partition infections are becoming more common.

None of this is going to help the poster. Not sure where you have been reading or working but right here, right now there are several threads where the computers have a boot sector virus so to say they aren't around is really doing a disservice. A recovery partition infection is very rare and usually occurs because the partition was created with a virus all ready on the machine, then yes, the recovery partition will also likely be infected.

you scan your system with updated antivirus.I suggest to use Panda antivirus.This is best.

commented: poster says he cannot follow any steps -3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.