Living in California, I periodically need to log into my computer that's back in my home in New York. Not that often, typically just a couple times a year.

But today, when attempting to connect, I got an error message saying, "The remote TeamViewer is running an old version which is out of date. Therefore, you cannot connect ot this Version anymore."

Soooo, firstly, why is TeamViewer not backwards compatible?! Secondly, I haven't updated TeamViewer on my local computer either anytime recently, so both local and remote computers should be running versions of TeamViewer that were released roughly at the same time. Thirdly, why does TeamViewer not provide a way to remotely upgrade?!

#Frustrated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I recently got burned by this as well. Unlike you, the remote computer was only four houses down the road (father-in-law). I agree. It's a serious flaw. I do have another system I occasionally remote into (Cambridge, UK) but at least that one is not unattended and can be upgraded by the person at the other end as needed.

I recently got burned by this as well.

It sounds like a major flaw considering that the product is specificially designed to be a remote access tool.

In the advanced options have you selected "install new versions automatically"?

I'm using the free version so that means little support other than the forum. The only real problem I've had is with the VPN. My two sons (one here, one in Cambridge, UK) like to game occasionally and this requires a VPN. Local son has a laptop (old) and a desktop (new) and would rather play on the desktop but for some reason we can't get the two systems to talk through the teamViewer VPN. It does work, however, on his laptop. I'm thinking that when UK son gets home this Christmas I'll make sure that each of them is behind a separate router (I have my spare one from the lake) and see if I can figure out the problem.

In the advanced options have you selected "install new versions automatically"?

Well now it's too late to tell, but I suspect it was turned off on the remote PC and turned on on the local PC. That would be the only thing I could think of that would cause them to have versions "out of sync" with each other.

However, I don't remember navigating the settings since I never really used TeamViewer all that much to begin with. I wonder if it's possible that it was installed unchecked by default in Windows but checked by default in macOS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.