Hi I would value your opinions as to whether it is worth investing in a linux platform so that I can run an Apache server to start my own web development company. PHP Is all the rage and it appears that this is the future, or have many of the bugs on the WIN 32 been fixed and applications run smoothly, in which case I'll upgrade to Vista.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

if you just want an apache system for development (not public access) you could install PHP, MySQL and Apache on windows quite easily or if you want something more robust, you could always set up a linux server under VmWare or Virtual PC if you have enough ram

thanks for the good advice

If you do want to go that route then I recommend XAMPP for windows web development using PHP/Apache/MySQL Database - its an easy to install bundle

if you like the virtual pc route then you should follow my tutorial here:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread78131.html

if after all you do want to buy/install a physical linux machine, it shouldnt be that costly. The only requirement really is that it has 256 mb or over of ram (or else MySQL becomes unreliable).

yet more sound advice, you obviously know quite a bit about this stuff and I really appreciate your words, although I feel I am transforming into a geek.

i had never dont any php before, just some HTML and some VB.NET and i managed to pick it up in a few days with a good book

I learned php once, i forgot it all :P
But linux is the best for servers i think.
In taking advice from JBennet, you are talking to a real linux nerd :P
no offense Bennet :)

Ubunte offers a operating system that is free and opensource software, it is linux based. You can request a cd or download and burn it.

I would never use Ubuntu on a server. Use debian instead.

yes it seems that fedora linux,is the best bet as it comes with an apachein the core programmes.

dont use fedora. Use centOS instead. Fedora is buggy as its essentially the testbed for redhat enterprise edition.

centos or debian are best for servers

centOS or debian if you go linux and want a server. (I prefer debian)

Ubuntu offers a LAMP-focused release, but I forget the perks besides having it all installed at the get-go.

I have no idea when this thread began, but PHP is pretty mature at this point. Ruby/Rails is the latest craze.

Hope you find it helpful. From my experiance, Linux provides a more stable server environment than Windows. Your mileage may vary.

mmm you basically have to use windows if you want to do ASP.NET development though

Thanks For All Your Advice, Although I Was Under The Impression Fedora 7 Is Best For Making Into A Remote Server Because It Has Apache As Part Of It's Core. It Has Also Become Evident That I Must Have Windows At Some Level Because That O/s Supports Most Applications Such As Adobe & Macromedia Etc. I Realise That If I Use A Lamp Based System I Need Alot More Planning.
Thanks Cogmick

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.