I've been tweaking with it. I want to reinstall linux on my PC, considering I just said f**k it to the wireless nic, and purchased a nice 50 foot cat5 cable. lol. I Poped in the CD, and walahhh, im half way there, im run up Fdisk and/or cfdisk, neither will find my hdb, or my second harddrive, I can't put it on the HDA thats were windows is. Does any one know what i can do about this, or the command to lead install to my hdb, or second hd? thank you in advance! (=

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Are you sure that's the actual name for it? hdb? Sure it's not hdc, or hdd?

What kind of motherboard are you running? Is the drive PATA or SATA? These things make a difference.

Let us know how you're set up, and then we can figure something out for you.

I mean the set up will only find my central hard drive thats all. Other then that FBSD found it, and almost every other distro, Slackwares my first time with this error. Im going to guess its a SATA,

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 52-0100-009999-00101111-071595-AMD75x$0AASNP02_
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s

If you watch the stdout when the system boots from the CD, it should show you the hardware it autodetects - see if you can spot your drive in there. If Slack does find it, make sure you remember (write down) what device it sees it as - usually /dev/hdb for the primary slave drive. Also, don't forget to specify that device when you run cfdisk - by default, cfdisk will use your primary master drive (hda). If you have 2 drives in the system, try something like "cfdisk hdb" and see if that works (unless you have SATA, in which case the device nomenclature is different.)

For a pretty good explanation (list) of Linux devices, look here:
http://www.lanana.org/docs/device-list/devices.txt

I've never had Slackware not detect a drive unless it was bad, going back to version 1.2 (I think) on 4 floppies :)

ipartitoned my hdb3 with qt_parted. made three partitons
hdb1 boot @ 32meg's
hdb2 swap @ 512 megs
hdb3 main roo @ rest of disk. Now how to i know it its reading the swap? Cause everythings installed now.

use the "top" command (no quotes) to view all running procs, uptime, used memory, etc.

also im having network problems, i made another post about it, it doesent outa select my PCI card. (ethernet NIC). The control panel doesnt really have an option in network's.

It doesn't automatically bring your network interface online? What's the error?

What window manager are you using? KDE? Gnome? Blackbox? WindowMaker?

All the networking stuff can be done via "netconfig" as far as specifying the IP, netmask, name servers, etc.

Also try (as root) "ifconfig eth0 up" (no quotes) and see if that does anything. You might want to check your dmesg to make sure your NIC is recognized, or if there are any issues with it (can't load driver, etc.).

If you do "ifconfig" all by itself it will display the current network configuration for all available (up) NICs.

thank you, i use KDE, and have DHCP, and i know all that lil stuff. thanks man, any more to say im here.

It would help if you replied to the correct post, instead of cross-posting.

Since I don't know your level of experience with Linux, it's a little difficult for me to guess what you don't know/already know.

What *exactly* is the problem? If you're receiving an error, please post it here so we can figure out what's happening. If you can't post it, can you provide any additional details about the problem that may better help us understand what's happening?

ok, i wasnet cross posting i was anwsering your question. Thank you.

i coudl barly say im cross posting, first of i was awnsering your questions.

I was reffering to your other post about the networking issue that you responded to in this thread.

Im not going to list everything i know and dont know.

Nor did I ask you to. When I offered a solution, your comment was "I already know all that." Makes it difficult for people trying to help you out if we don't know exactly what it is you're asking/looking for.

See i know how to solve this problem.

OK, then you obviously don't need my help with it. Sorry to have wasted your time with my blathering.

Sorry to be rude, im jsut upset by that rude post of your's.

I wasn't being rude. I was asking you to provide more information regarding your question in order for me to help you find the problem and recommend a solution. But, like you so pointedly made clear earlier, you already know how to fix it, so I won't waste any more of your time.

Ill explain the problem a little more to help. Ok when i reun the set up and install stackware 10.0 it asks to configure the OS, and the set up. Now for network it asked for the slot it is located in. PCE, COM etc. I had no clue, then I boot up. I run netconfig and it asks for a domain. I dont have a domain. How else would i run the DHCP? I know how to set up config's with suse, linspire, knoppix, but for some reason this one has me stumped, and your not babbling. lol (=.

Ill explain the problem a little more to help. Ok when i reun the set up and install stackware 10.0 it asks to configure the OS, and the set up. Now for network it asked for the slot it is located in. PCE, COM etc. I had no clue, then I boot up. I run netconfig and it asks for a domain. I dont have a domain. How else would i run the DHCP? I know how to set up config's with suse, linspire, knoppix, but for some reason this one has me stumped, and your not babbling. lol (=.

1. What NIC do you have in the box?
2. If you run DHCP on a *real* DHCP server, you don't NEED a domain, since that's part of what gets provided by the DHCP server. If you don't know what to put there, just make something up, but WITHOUT the .tld (Top Level Domain - .com, .net, .org, etc.)
3. That's the beautiful part about Slack - you have to know what you're doing when it comes to core networking. It will help you out just so much, but it's expected that the admin know a bit about protocols, networking, and general *nix admin stuff.

the thing is how would it pick up my DHCP, with out a domain.. its rediculous cause i cant skip that one prompt. its a standard PCI eth card. No other distros ahd problems with it.. Slack is not working right with audio either. umm.

the thing is how would it pick up my DHCP, with out a domain.. its rediculous cause i cant skip that one prompt. its a standard PCI eth card. No other distros ahd problems with it.. Slack is not working right with audio either. umm.

DHCP uses the MAC address for leases, NOT a domain. It can also be configured to use hostnames to assign the IP leases, such as MCHSI, but in situations like those, if the MAC address doesn't match the lease, you get a new IP, or you get nothing (depending on their TOS.)

Since you're already behind a NetGear router, the NetGear is receiving a DHCP lease from your provider - not your Linux box. Your router is assigning your local LAN IP addresses, regardless of what hostname.domain the box is configured for.

I have OptOnline cable, using a FreeBSD firewall/router, which is also a DHCP/DNS server for one of my internal subnets. I can plug ANY machine into that subnet, turn it on, configure it to use DHCP, and it'll get an address, regardless of what the hostname or domain that box is already configured for.

I highly recommend bookmarking the Linux Documentation Project website for HOWTOs on networking, audio, drivers, etc. It will save you a lot of time and frustration if you learn how things work.

DHCP uses the MAC address for leases, NOT a domain. It can also be configured to use hostnames to assign the IP leases, such as MCHSI, but in situations like those, if the MAC address doesn't match the lease, you get a new IP, or you get nothing (depending on their TOS.)

I know this, thats why i was getting frustrated.

Since you're already behind a NetGear router, the NetGear is receiving a DHCP lease from your provider - not your Linux box. Your router is assigning your local LAN IP addresses, regardless of what hostname.domain the box is configured for.

Yup

I have OptOnline cable, using a FreeBSD firewall/router, which is also a DHCP/DNS server for one of my internal subnets. I can plug ANY machine into that subnet, turn it on, configure it to use DHCP, and it'll get an address, regardless of what the hostname or domain that box is already configured for.

With free BSD it just got me on quick and easy.

So what exactly is the problem? If you know all of this, which you claim, there isn't a problem. I've asked you repeatedly for information on your NIC, but rather than answer my questions, you just make comments about how much you already know, then continue to ask for help.

This wreaks of Trolling, so I'm going to ignore this thread as of now. I've given you sufficient resources to find the answer to your question, which has nothing to do with the original thread issue, so you should be able to work this out for yourself.

Am I being rude? Probably. But then, re-read this entire thread, especially YOUR OWN POSTS, and you just might see what me and others see. I'm done wasting my time with someone who claims to know the answers to the questions he's asking, then continues to ask for help but doesn't provide answers to questions being asked of people who try to help.

My suggestions for you:
-Stop being a damn Troll.
-It's OK if you don't know something. That's what this place is all about.
-If someone offers help, don't try to boast about what you supposedly already know - answer their questions and you might even learn something.
-Proofread your postings so they don't sound like blathering drivel. Spell out complete words and form cohesive sentences, and you will be understood. This isn't IRC so forget the l33t h4x0r stuff. Contrary to popular belief, it makes you look like an uneducated moron.

Yes, I can be rude. Ogres aren't known for their patience, nor for being friendly when annoyed. When I spend time trying to help you and you turn it into something far removed from what it should be, I get annoyed.

Complain. Have me banned. Whatever. After all, my network isn't borked, and I know what I'm doing. Ask me for help, and I'll help. Don't waste my time.

EOR

all i said was i understand how to set it up, but i do not have a domain address as it ask's. I never said i knew the entire anwser. I cant say im much of a troll,. but hey thats cool. I dont know my NIC it came with the computer. I did not build it. Its a regular like every one else's it seems, it works perffect with most distro's so its not somethingnew. Sorry...
may i ask about this part though?
"This isn't IRC so forget the l33t h4x0r stuff. Contrary to popular belief, it makes you look like an uneducated moron."

were in the entire F***** post did i speak one word of that ignorance. Maybe im no LINUX master liek your self, technology is a new love of mine, so i learn as i do, Im a very busy person and i try to contribute as much time possible to this board by helping out etc. One simple question gets me put down like this.. how pathetic. Can any one give me a hand with my issue, ive read the slack ware guide, see my ehternet connection is on a DHCP it was ment to auto configure, but for som,e reason it wont pick up. Maybe ill just stick with debian, sorry. Thank you again, sphyenx.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.