Written by Syahrizal -
Article from http://linuxrise.com

There are plenty of Linux Distros out there. When you want to migrate to Linux, you must first choose a Linux operating system that is suitable for you. If you are a new Linux user, then you should try to learn the basic of this operating system as this stuff is not the same as your Windows operating system. When I started using Linux a couple years ago, I faced many problems as I didn't know how to use this operating system at all. But as I start to use Linux, I feel that I am now becoming a more challenging person.

Just imagine that you walk on a road that is totally unfamiliar to you. Just walk like that without proper information about the place. But don't worry as you will slowly getting more familiar to the situation. Remember, when we first started to touch a PC with Windows operating system in it. At that time, I also don't know anything about computer. But, we slowly learned to use it. Same goes to this Linux operating system. Learn slowly, and you will master it in no time. Learning process is not about reading their documentations or books. The most important thing to do is by trying the Linux Distros by yourself. I am sure that you will be amazed with the Linux.

I will give you a number of popular Linux distros out there that you can try. You can determine the suitable operating system by yourself when you are using it. For Linux newbie, I suggest Linux Ubuntu as this operating system is very easy to use and user friendly. But if you like adventure, try using Linux Mandriva as this Linux is more enjoyable to use. Linux Mandriva is totally different from Windows. So if you want an original feel of Linux, try this operating system. If you like Mandriva, you must also try Fedora and OpenSUSE. Don't forget to use Debian as this operating system can be considered as among the first Linux operating system.

You can also try Linux XP and Knoppix as they are also easy to use.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

How about redhat linux? I like it the most.

And btw, for my hosting server, it is CentOS which i use.

Thank you for reply...

I use Ubuntu for four reasons I can think of now:

1. Development is very active, so issues are being fixed fast and there are frequent releases
2. lots of people use it, including everybody at work, so there's lots of support around me
3. each release comes in workstation and server distros, so I can run the same version on my workstation as I run on my servers, making maintenance simpler
4. it's a Debian core, so it's relatively stable

Installation of ubuntu is very smooth too. I find Fedora too buggy. I used to use Open/FreeBSD a lot, but got a bit tired of compiling everything all the time.

I like Linux Mandriva as it has a good graphics but I still waiting the latest google OS to come out...
Maybe it will be my new choice...

4. it's a Debian core, so it's relatively stable

the core is based on debian unstable/testing.

I find Fedora too buggy.

buggy how? I've been using it instead of ubuntu for quite some time now, and yes, there are bugs, but they are being fixed very quickly. considering the fact that some of the best Linux developers work for Red Hat contributing to Fedora, I'd prefer Fedora over Ubuntu any day

the core is based on debian unstable/testing.

buggy how? I've been using it instead of ubuntu for quite some time now, and yes, there are bugs

In a decade of using Linux if I had a dollar for every time my (regularly updated) Fedora installations threw an exception I'd be a rich man. It's been a while since I switched though.

Nothings perfect, but for example, I prefer Apt over RPM - with RPM, when you install Subversion, you also have to install Postgres, when you install Oracle, there is a dependency upon MySQL, and so on. So I think the package management is one part of Fedora that needs a bit of work - and they could cut out the GCJ (Java compiler) too, that evil thing breaks so much software.

I agree with many of the above posters. I personally like the Debian-based distros and use Ubuntu on my netbook. However, if you're interested in possibly taking linux to the corporate world, you probably want to stick with Redhat/CentOS/Fedora. Your "industry standard" certifications become cake and almost all vendors partner with Redhat as it's the de facto standard. It's just something small to think about. Have fun with whatever you decide :). I love linux, personally.

The Linux Mandriva spring 2009 is out...
Download it at my website...
http://www.linuxrise.com

It has many added function ...

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Debian and ubuntu have been my most recent preferred OS's when it comes to linux.

I'm leaning more towards Debian now, for it's sheer leanness, stability and no frills approach, especially if you're using it as a server.

can anyone help me please.. i try to install fedora 11 on my system, but this error always occur "free space i s less than 3072 mb".. what it means?.. how much GB or mb does the fedora wants in order to install?..

can anyone help me please.. i try to install fedora 11 on my system, but this error always occur "free space i s less than 3072 mb".. what it means?.. how much GB or mb does the fedora wants in order to install?..

Sounds like you're out of disk space, which could happen if you are installing it alongside another existing operation system installation.

Here's the Fedora 11 hardware requirements documentation, which will tell you how much disk space you actually need:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/HardwareOverview

How about simply linux 8.0.? Some people believe is the best linux distribution yet.

About simply Mepis , I didn't try it yet. But I really like Mandriva... And I am so eager to try Mandriva 2010 . I heard that this Mandriva has Wine pre installed in it. It also has faster boot time. Maybe less than 10 sec.

I am still trying to understand how wine / virtualization work to run windows software in Linux. I hope this OS can make me understand this thing better.

Anyway, still waiting for google chrome OS to come out...

Ubuntu and mandriva are great for newbies, but my favorites are Suse, zenwalk, and xubuntu

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.