1.11M Members

Ubuntu 9.04, Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 - screen flicker

Hi all, I hope you are well. I am very new to Ubuntu and I am experiencing occasional screen flickers (the monitor will go black for a split second, then resume as normal). Now, I have tried googling for a solution but I have not found one yet that satisfies the issue. As you can imagine, its rather headache inducing. My system is a Toshiba satellite pro p100 PSPAE notebook. I have an nVidia Geforce go 7600 and I have installed the Nvidia server setting utility and have driver 180.44. My distro is Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) GNOME 2.26.1.
Things I have tried to do to rectify the flicker include : DISABLING "Force full GPU scaling". I also tried specifying a refresh rate of 60mhz resolution = 1440*900. Although everytime I apply this, the X utility reverts my preference here back to AUTO (only with the refresh rate and resolution: it remembers the disabled "Force full GPU scaling". Sorry about the long post, I am just trying to provide as much information as possible. Thanks for your time and I hope we can sort this together as it is giving my eyes some trouble!!

I have a notebook with the same video card as you, and installed the nvidia GLX drivers some time ago. I had not noticed this occasional flicker until today, and am unsure what would have changed to cause it.

Hi there Cent25, I have found a fix for this (at least on my machine). Press alt-F2, then when the Run Application window appears type :

gksudo nvidia-settings

This will run the Nvidia server X utility as root. Now, my monitor supports a refresh rate of 60hz, so I imagine yours does too. Go to X Server Display Configuration and set the refresh rate to 60Hz (even if it says auto, change it). Now apply this, save to x configuration file then restart and you should be ok! I really hope this helps, I know how irritating this flicker is.

On that note, I would recommend looking up your monitor specifications, because some support an even higher refresh rate, and over time, that is a setting that becomes very obvious.

Question Answered as of 4 Years Ago by blud and cent25

So I've had this flicker problem through several Ubuntu versions, and I suspect it's more likely a problem on the Nvidea side, and I'm annoyed that it hasn't been fixed yet. My hack fix involves installing mesa-utils (sudo apt-get install mesa-utils) and then save the file...

# glxhack.sh
glxinfo > /dev/null;
sleep 10;
./glxhack;

Save the file somewhere, make it executable, and run it. Set it to run on startup. Something about the glx system (or something - I'm kind of making up stuff) goes to sleep after a certain amount of time, and when it reawakens it causes a flicker on screen. Running glxinfo repeatedly prevents it from going to sleep. I hope this solves your problem. It has always solved mine.

Isn't it about time forums rewarded their contributors?

Earn rewards points for helping others. Gain kudos. Cash out. Get better answers yourself.

It's as simple as contributing editorial or replying to discussions labeled or OP Kudos

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: