I'm trying to save something on my external HD, but I get this error:

Unable to access "TOSHIBA EXT"

Not authorized to perform operation (polkit authority not available and caller is not uid 0)

I made a snapshot of the error window, but that doesn't go to well either. I would say, this is enough information to help me out. If not, we'll see later.

I use Ubuntu 20.10

Leon

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I see this question has a lot of prior discussions found with https://www.google.com/search?&q=polkit+authority+not+available

Lots of ways to tackle this one.

PS. Last week I took a day to test out about 20 laptop drives (mostly HDDs and a few SSDs. It was slow going and "interesting" errors showed up on two bad drives. There was nothing wrong with the OS or adapter. These few drives were just bad. Most of the drives were from the office where we had upgraded our last HDDs to SSD. A few were unknown condition so we wanted to find out so we could see what to keep as spares for really cheap repairs and what to get rid of because failing drives can cause techs to spend days trying to find out what's wrong.

Right now I'm not really in the mood for reading all those entries. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks anyway.

I can't tell you what it is this time so I related where I find things to read and try. Also shared last week's drive testing that spewed so many error messages on the bad drives.

Is there something not-so-stock with this Ubuntu?

The problem solved itself. I started up Linux today and now I can use the device.

commented: Yes I often forget the old "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" - The IT Crowd. +15

Some external hard drives draw their power from the USB port and ... You should never lose data because an external USB hard drive fails.

commented: Please tell everyone how to avoid this loss as so many do over and over. +15
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.