I started up a just joined the family thread in the hardware section to describe my decision to buy Linux, but because I can't help but feel at home in Windows as all of my PC experience has been under it's control... I'm about as hesitant at employing Linux as one could be... As with all simpler, affordable way of life suggestions, I also can't get past the notion of dropping AOL...It's a bit of a luxury feeling to me and I worry the techical working of using Linux, and even this variation of it, will stop me before I begin...are my fears unfounded? Can Linux be as easy and as intuitive as Windows (which I have to say, I doubt! haha)?
Anyway, I heard at least one advantage was very little in the way of viruses and Malware/Trojans affect Linux, so maybe a great way to go online buying... what avenues to explore in that idea? Is security Firewalls and such really needed so far with Linux online??
I'm sure more questions will arise later, but to be quite honest, I have yet to open the box, even though I just bought it today, I thought I might spend the summer playing and learning with it while I try and recover from me spending here...buying both OSes and a HDD set me back $260! haha
BILL

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Here are some tips:

The faster you lose AOL, the better you will be. A standard dialup ISP is cheaper, and you can do all of the things in it that you can do with AOL.

Firewalls are built into Linux. Sort of. They do what firewalls are supposed to do-- block ports. Since your standard Linux installation is usually pretty secure, and in a desktop install, many ports are already closed, the defaults are fine. Even remote access things like SSH have root login disabled, so that's one less hole to worry about.

If you switch over to a high speed connection, you might want to invest in a router, and use it as a hardware firewall. Just plug it in, and you've got all of the box's ports hidden.

If your hardware is pretty standard stuff, you should be in good shape. Since you purchased a boxed set, you get the excellent manuals SuSE provides. That's going to go a long way in getting you up and going.

Can Linux be as easy and as intuitive as Windows (which I have to say, I doubt! haha)?

I'll answer that with a question of my own-- When you first used Windows, were you an expert at it?

...That's about all you'll need to concern yourself with just yet. My advice, when starting up, is to knock your problems down one at a time. Don't start with a laundry list. Get your email working, then get your sound working, etc. Focus on one problem, learn how to fix it, and why what you did fixed it. Then, learn how to prevent the problem from happening moving forward. That's the best advice I can give you as a new Linux user.

Suse linux 10 is cool. You should all use it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.