1.11M Members

Java & Linux

hey guys, I'm studying to be a pro C++/Java programmer and are currently working in Ubuntu, is this a suitable choice? Or is there a more suitable linux distro?

Most any current distribution is suitable for learning how to program in Java and/or C/C++. My personal preference (personal, and preference) is to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux, or clones thereof (CentOS or Scientific Linux). In fact, I use all three, and I have used Ubuntu extensively in the past. Unfortunately, my opinion is that Ubuntu started regressing after 9.04, so I don't use it any longer. RHEL 6.1, or a clone thereof, is my preferred system these days, and I do a LOT of serious software engineering. My current position/title is Senior Systems Engineer at Nokia Mobile Phones. I do Java and C++ software engineering for a living.

Every distro is suitable. Use whichever you like. One thing also, ubuntu 11.10's unity interface is buggy and slow. I would suggest gnome shell, if you like ubuntu, though i dont like that too.

FWIW, in my organization we use Java and C++ extensively, and our server software all runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Our newest stuff runs on 6.1. Older stuff on 5.x. In my opinion, 6.1 has been a major improvement in hardware support, especially WiFi on laptops.

Seriously, dude, it does not matter. Pick any that you are acquainted with, and have already understood the structure of. It's always easier to develop on systems you understand fully.

Ubuntu is not a bad choice. Easy-to-learn-to-use ------- Unleash the power of that penguin!

On Ubuntu just install the openjdk packages (I think default-jre and default-JDK are meta packages for this). I develop Jave EE apps on Ubuntu LTS fine.

Question Answered as of 2 Years Ago by jbennet, rubberman, dantinkakkar and 1 other
You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: