When i start my laptop fedora ask me from witch os i would like to boot. Here are the options given by the system:

Fedora (3.2.6-3.fc16.i686)
Fedora Linux, wiht Linux 3.1.0-7,fc16.i686
Fedora Linux, wiht Linux 3.1.0-7,fc16.i686 ( recovery mode )

those are the three options it gives me. how do i remove the other 2 so that there is only 1 (the first option) is left over. Do i need do format my hard drive. if so how? because i am very knew to linux.

Thankyou:?:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There isn't any reason to delete the two you are not using. They aren't hurting anything.
If you only want a single installation on your machine then you need to re-install the OS and force it to remove existing partitions and use the entire disk.

These are the kernels installed on the system. As you update with yum, new kernels, with security and other fixes in them, they are added to the boot menu, with the latest as the default. The others are there so that if the new kernel causes you problems, you can reboot to the older one(s). Also, they don't take much space, and the system will delete the oldest after a certain number are installed. In any case, DO NOT remove the recovery one.

If you want to know more about this, read the Grub documentation. That is the boot-loader that all Red Hat systems use. The kernels and grub configuration files are kept in /boot in case you are interested. In any case, DO NOT remove anything from this directory until you know EXACTLY what you are doing!

it is normal for fedora to have the most recently installed kernels listed in the grub boot menu. you can hit the space bar to stop the process and then arrow down to a different kernel.
when you installed Fedora it most likely asked you if you wanted to format the existing drive and would have listed the partitions it saw.
since you are new and if this is fedora test system then you should practice installing it a few times.
Have fun!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.