I'M trying to move an 11 gig .tar.gz file that is pretty much one of my home usernames from my ubuntu laptop to my fedora desktop, here's what I'M getting.

developer@garrett-laptop:~$ scp developer@192.168.1.9:/home/develope/fromlaptopsaveDeveloper.tar.gz garrett@192.168.1.5:/home/developer/Desktop
developer@192.168.1.9's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password).
lost connection
developer@garrett-laptop:~$

How could I be getting the password wrong since I had just logged in with ssh to that same user name? Now, I just did the same command but in reverce order from the laptop(developer) to the desktop(garrett) and it asked for two password inputs and worked just fine. What's the problem when I try it form the desktop?

Well, first of all, there's a typo in what you have posted. In the source path, developer@192.168.1.9:/home/develope/fromlaptopsaveDeveloper.tar.gz, you are missing the R in developer folder name. It could very well be just that.

Otherwise, your destination is weird. You send the file to the desktop under username garrett, but the destination folder is in /home/developer. That doesn't make sense. Usually, a normal (non-root) user account does not have write permission to a home folder of another user account. In this case, I don't think that user "garrett" has write permissions on user "developer"'s home folder. And hence the permission denied.

Thirdly, if you are already on the laptop (garrett-laptop) under the home folder of user "developer", you should be able to simply write:

developer@garrett-laptop:~$ scp fromlaptopsaveDeveloper.tar.gz garrett@192.168.1.5:/home/garrett/Desktop/

That should work to transfer the file. If you want it on the home folder of the "developer" user on the desktop, then you should use the "developer" username in the scp command (or give write permissions to garrett over the developer home folder, or transfer the file into garrett's home folder and then copy it locally with a sudo cp or sudo mv command).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.