Hey, i've got Ubuntu Hooray Hedghog edition installed on my computer and it runs great! any way, i'm using an ATI All-In-Wonder X600 Pro graphics card and i have the dual monitor set up and working. but my problem is that all of my 3D graphics run really slow. so i was wondering if there is a way to configure the Xscreensaver to use just one of my screens but clone it to the other monitor so that instead of it haveing to run at 2560 X 1024 it runs at 1280 X 1024 and cloned to the other monitor, so that there is less data so that it can run faster.

any help is greatly appriciated

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

If you're using ATI...you can run the card in Dual Head mode. Install the ATI proprietary driver and control panel, go into the control panel, enable dual screen, extend desktop horizontally, logout and log back in. You're set.

There also a thread about setting it up at linux questions: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=40125

If you aren't using ATI, It's possible but difficult...

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/

There are a couple of caveats to it as well...such as different resolutions on different monitors, etc. If you're looking for a good window manager that is Xinerama capable..try enlightenment.

ya, i have all of that stuff set up (i'm using FGLRX ATI properity device to set up my dual monitors), i'm just trying to make 3D graphics run faster and smoother. i have the hardware accelerator installed but it doesn't make a lot of difference, only two more FPS. so i was just wondering if there is some way to configure Xscreensaver to set the screens to "clone" mode so that there is less data so it will run faster, and then switch out of clone mode when i get out of it. or if someone just knows of a good hardware accelerator for an ATI graphics card (radeon X600) because the one i have installed doesn't work too well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.