Recently I downloaded the Ubuntu ISO (desktop version). It said something like 680MB file, but when it finished downloading, it was 715MB... I have two questions:

1. Why are they expanding?

2. How can I fit this ISO on a CD if my cd can only fit 700MB?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

ok, a cd actually has little more than 700MB. this also was my concern, but when i clicked on the cd properties, it had a total of something like 734MB. so don't worry about that part, it'll fit on a single cd.
to answer your first question, i think they are adding more packages to their distro, thus making it a little bigger. so go ahead and burn the iso on a cd and enjoy the wonderful world of ubuntu(my favorite distro)

but when i click download, in the little IE download box, it says 686MB...

but when i click download, in the little IE download box, it says 686MB...

Doesn't matter... the server was probably acting up.

I think it has to do with the size of the blocks the server's hard drive uses compared to your hard drive.

For example if one file is 800 bytes and the server stores data in blocks of 8 bytes then it will take up 100 blocks and exactly 800 bytes. But if you download that file and your computer is storing in groups of 7 you will need to use 115 blocks and use up 805 bytes.

These are all unlikely numbers but should demonstrate the point.

also some people say 1gb = 1000mb and others say its 1024mb (which is correct as there are 8 bits in a byte, not 10)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.