hi,
I made the boot floppy for mandrake 10 with the options "mkbootdisk -- kernelargs /boot/vmlinuz 2.6.3-4mdk"but after booting there was error message:"could not find kernel image:linux" and a boot prompt"boot:"
plz write me the correct parameters for making a bootdisk my
root partition is /dev/hda8 and boot partition is /dev/hda9.the
thanks for your help.
:lol:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Have you tried reading the manpage for mkbootdisk? I'd imagine that there would be some options listed there for your particular situation.

Since none of us know your exact setup, it'd be kind of tough to know what options you would need.

Member Avatar for TKSS

hi,
I made the boot floppy for mandrake 10 with the options "mkbootdisk -- kernelargs /boot/vmlinuz 2.6.3-4mdk"but after booting there was error message:"could not find kernel image:linux" and a boot prompt"boot:"
plz write me the correct parameters for making a bootdisk my
root partition is /dev/hda8 and boot partition is /dev/hda9.the
thanks for your help.
:lol:

You can make a LILO boot floppy without using mkbootdisk

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO.html

but if you're using grub...no good. The kernelargs option is looking for grub and using grubby as a default and it is looking in /boot partition. Make sure your path is correct and that your kernel is the right one you're looking for.

You might use -v or --verbose option to see what it is doing while it is doing it. Also, be sure to grab your kernel version from /lib/modules (should be a directory...something like 2.6.3 or whatever). From there it is:

mtbootdisk -v 2.6.3-4 (or whatever)

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.